Dec 16, 2017
2015-2016 Student Handbook [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]
Student Life Policies > Posting Policy
- General Posting Policies
- All materials must be sponsored or cosponsored by a registered student organization or a university department.
- All materials must include the full name of the sponsoring department or student organization, and all content must be printed or translated in English.
- Materials may not be posted on any undesignated areas, including doors, glass, walls, car windshields, or over previously posted materials.
- Materials may not include advertising for personal or commercial gain.
- Materials from other campuses, non-profit organizations or those not affiliated with the University which advertise student, university, or community programs and are cosponsored with a university department or registered student organization may be posted with special approval from the Director of the Center for Student Involvement (CSI).
- Failure by a student organization to comply with regulations in this policy may result in suspension of posting privileges for one semester (15 school weeks). Continuing to post while privileges are revoked can result in the suspension of the student organization.
- Special Requirements for Posters and Flyers
- A “poster” as used here is any printed or pictorial matter displayed on university property inclusive of, but not limited to, flyers, table tents, etc.
- Posting is permitted on general university bulletin boards. Use of departmental or special area boards requires that permission be obtained from the related office.
- All general University bulletin boards are cleared before 2 p.m. on the first and third Friday of each month.
- Poster size cannot exceed 14 inches by 22 inches.
- Only one posting per event, idea or product is allowed per bulletin board.
- The University may remove and discard any posters displayed on campus property which are in violation of these policies.
- With prior approval from Student Housing and Residential Life, signs may be posted within designated areas in university residence hall locations by Student Housing and Residential Life staff members. Poster size in the residence halls may not exceed 8-1/2 inches by 14 inches and all materials can be dropped off in the Housing Services office, located on the ground floor of Moody Towers. (Questions, please call Student Housing and Residential Life X36000).
- In case of shortage of bulletin board space, the Center for Student Involvement (CSI) shall assign priority and determine removal date.
- The Director of the Center for Student Involvement may, in certain instances, authorize extended posting periods for certain items of an academic or administrative nature. Items approved for extended posting must be stamped by CSI. These are the only postings that will not automatically be removed on the first and third Friday of each month.
- Special Requirements for Banners
- A “banner” as used here is defined as paper, cloth or vinyl advertising matter displayed on university property.
- Banners are permitted outside of the Student Center Satellite with a confirmed reservation from the Student Center’s Conference and Reservation Services (CARS) Office.
- The Student Center CARS Office will issue a confirmed reservation for all banners to be displayed at the Student Center Satellite. All banners are required to have the group’s name clearly printed on the banner. Student Center CARS does not oversee the approval process for banners to be posted in other buildings or locations. To obtain permission for other areas, see the appropriate dean or area coordinator for that building.
- Maximum posting period for event banners (unless exception granted for extension as noted above) will be limited to 10 business days prior to a scheduled event (includes the actual event date).
- Space is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Registered student organizations may post up to two banners at one time if the organization has two separate events planned.
- A banner’s dimensions cannot exceed 3 feet tall by 15 feet wide in the Student Center Satellite.
- The standard two-week posting period may be extended through approval during non-peak posting times of the year. Extensions should be requested in advance of initial posting dates in the original request. Banner reservations may be renewed, subject to space availability, every 2 weeks by submitting a new reservation request form.
- Student organizations are responsible for removing banners on the expiration date. Failure to remove banners on due date may result in revocation of banner posting privileges.
- The Student Center does not assume responsibility for loss or destruction of banners.
- The Student Center may remove and discard any banner without a current reservation.
For more information regarding banner reservations, contact the Student Center Conference and Reservation Services (CARS) Office at Student Center South 27137, call 832-842-6167, or on the web at http://www.uh.edu/studentcenters/, click on Conference and Reservation Event Services.
Complaints regarding alleged violations of the posting policy are handled by the Director of the Center for Student Involvement or designate. Grievances may be submitted in writing to the Director of the Center for Student Involvement. Appeals of decisions by the Director of the Center for Student Involvement should be submitted in writing to the Dean of Students.