Sep 20, 2018
2016-2017 Graduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]
College of Nursing - Admissions
College of Nursing > Admissions
- Applicants must complete the NursingCAS online application for admission at the following website: https://portal.nursingcas.org/. NursingCAS is the first national centralized application service for students applying to registered nursing programs. For additional information regarding NursingCAS go to http://nursingcas.org/.
- An official transcript from EACH college or university attended, sent directly from each institution to NursingCAS at:
P.O. Box 9201
Watertown, MA 02471
- International students must have a minimum TOEFL score of 89.
- Applicants to both undergraduate and graduate programs must satisfy the UH College of Nursing Policy for Clinical Readiness Requirements as listed below:
- Background Check
- All students will be required to undergo a criminal background check.
- The results will be shared with the Dean, Associate Dean, and Track Managers of the College of Nursing.
- Any student convicted of, or who receives adjudication for any criminal offense prior to program admission, or while in the program, will be required to obtain a Declaratory Order from the Texas Board of Nursing that states the student is eligible for initial licensure or licensure renewal prior to program entry or progression.
- All students must submit a non-expired copy of CPR certification. Students must be certified in one of the following classifications of CPR approved by the College of Nursing. Online certification will not be accepted.
- CPR for Health Care Provider (BLS), American Heart Association
- CPR for the Professional Rescuer, American Red Cross
- Students will be responsible for maintaining bi-yearly compliance with the CPR requirements throughout their program. In the event that a student does not meet the requirements at any time during the program, a course registration hold will be implemented until the requirement is met.
- Health Insurance
- All students enrolled in the College of Nursing must carry health insurance and provide a copy of the policy or insurance card.
- Students will be responsible for maintaining compliance with the health insurance requirements throughout their program. In the event a student does not meet the requirements at any time during the program, a course registration hold will be implemented until the requirement is met.
- Malpractice Insurance
- All students are provided with malpractice insurance through the UH College of Nursing.
- Drug Screen
- All students will be required to provide a random negative urine drug screen via a school assigned outside testing agency. At the discretion of the faculty, all students may be required to comply with periodic random drug screening during enrollment in all nursing programs.
- Annual Clinical Passport
- All students will be required to demonstrate basic clinical safety knowledge, including HIPAA training.
- Immunizations as required.