Graduation and Graduation Application
The application for graduation should not be confused with the application for candidacy .
Degrees are not awarded automatically upon completion of all scholastic requirements. To be considered a candidate for a degree:
- The student who expects to graduate in a given term must be enrolled for that term. This regulation applies to students who have not submitted a thesis or dissertation by the deadline of the previous term.
- An official transcript showing that a prior bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent, has been conferred must be on file prior to graduation from UH with a graduate degree.
- The student must submit an application for graduation by logging in to myUH.
Applications should be filed during the graduation filing period as listed in the Academic Calendar. Effective with the Fall 2009 graduation application, a non-refundable application fee will be assessed for each graduation application filed during the regular graduation filing period. There will be a non-refundable graduation application fee assessed for each graduation application filed during the late graduation application period.
Candidates for graduation who have missed the final deadline for late filing of application must petition with their college. If such request is approved by the college, students will be assessed the non-refundable graduation application fee.
A student, who has been disapproved for their degree, must submit a new graduation application in a future term that they expect to meet the requirements to be considered a candidate for the degree. Each subsequent graduation application submitted will be assessed the appropriate graduation application fee according to the filing period during which the application is submitted.
Certification for graduation is performed by the dean’s office in the college of the student’s major and a decision of approved or disapproved is rendered within 4-6 weeks after the close of the term. Diplomas are typically mailed within 1-2 weeks from the time the approved certifications for graduation are processed.
Students are responsible for ordering and paying for graduation regalia at the University Bookstore for all commencement exercises.
Graduation Under a Particular Catalog
A student normally is entitled to graduate under the degree provisions of the catalog in effect at the time of the first completed term of enrollment. The following exceptions apply:
- A catalog more than seven years old will not be used.
- The program of the student who interrupts enrollment (for reasons other than involuntary military service) for more than 13 months will be governed by the catalog in effect at the time the student re-enters the university. For these purposes, enrollment shall be defined as registration for and successful completion of at least one course during an academic term. A student forced to withdraw for adequate cause before completing a course may petition for a waiver of this provision at the time of withdrawal.
- The program of the student who changes a major from one college to another within the university will be governed by the degree requirements in effect at the time the change of major becomes effective.
- With the exception of programs for which another termination date has been specified, no degree will be granted for a graduate program not completed within five years after it has been deleted from the catalog.
- Students may choose to meet the degree provisions of a catalog published later than that which is in effect at the time of the first completed term of enrollment. The University of Houston reserves the right to change the provisions of this catalog, including, but not limited to, degree requirements, course offerings, fees, and listings in the calendar as necessitated by university or legislative action.
- Students must meet requirements specified in the section on Time Limitations on completion of degree requirements.