Jun 30, 2022  
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog 
2021-2022 Undergraduate Catalog

International Transfer Admission Requirements

Undergraduate Admissions  > International Student Requirements > International Transfer Admission Requirements

You are an international transfer student if you:

  • are not a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or
  • are not graduating from a Texas high school after three years in residence in Texas (please review Senate Bill 1528) and
  • have graduated from high school or equivalent and
  • have enrolled in a post-secondary institution, and has earned college credit after high school/secondary school graduation (during fall/spring semesters)

Admissions Criteria

  • 2.5 overall college GPA
  • Transfer students with fewer than 15 hours (fewer than 30 hours for business majors) must submit an official final high school transcript and an official ACT/SAT score

English Language Proficiency Requirement

EFL (iBT) TOEFL (PBT) IELTS Overall Duolingo English Test SAT Total / Creative Writing ACT Composite / English
79 550 6.5 105 1170/530 24/21

Please note: International transfer students may be exempt from submitting a TOEFL or IELTS score by completing 30 or more semester credit hours from a U.S. accredited institution of higher education, including coursework equivalent to UH English Composition ENGL 1303 and ENGL 1304 with a grade of “C” or better and/or the completion of an AA or AS degree from an accredited institution of higher education.

Majors with additional requirements 

Some majors have additional requirements on top of the ones listed above.  

Majors with additional requirements are indicated with a +. 

For more information, visit www.uh.edu/transfer-majors-ar.


Visit the Deadlines  page for a listing of when the admissions application and supporting materials are due.

Transferring College Credit

Transfer credit is awarded for transferable courses that are completed with a grade C- or better. A maximum of 66 lower-division (freshman and sophomore-level) semester credit hours can be transferred as credit. There’s no limit to the number of upper-division (junior and senior-level) semester credit hours that can transfer to UH. However, students must complete at least 30 semester credit hours in residence at UH to complete baccalaureate degree requirements.

International credit will be transferred as general elective credit or elective credit within a subject area.  Students may choose to complete an Undergraduate Transfer Credit Petition, which will be reviewed by faculty in the appropriate college and department to determine if the work and credit are of suitable content and rigor.  This process takes place during the first enrolled term. The application of transfer credit toward a degree at the university cannot be determined until the transcripts have been evaluated and a degree plan is processed.