Sep 20, 2018
C.T. Bauer College of Business > Department of Finance > Finance, B.B.A. - Commercial Banking Track and Certificate
Finance majors interested in course work related to careers in Commercial Banking may pursue a Commercial Banking Track in Finance and receive a Commercial Banking certificate of recognition by meeting the following requirements within the Finance Major.To earn the certificate, students must complete 30 credits of courses designated with an asterisk (*) and complete all requirements for the Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) degree with a major in Finance.
Required Finance Courses 6 hours
Finance Advanced Electives 12 hours (for the certificate, must be the following)
Additional Elective Hours Required
Advanced Business Electives 6 hours (for the certificate, must be the following)
Advanced Electives 6 hours (for the certificate, must be the following)
General Electives 6 hours
- MARK 3337 may double count as the Business Speech requirement, allowing students to count another General Elective of their choice. If another approved course is taken for the Business Speech requirement (includes the transfer courses SPCH 1321 or SPCH 1315, or COMM 3356 at UH), then MARK 3337 could be counted as 3 or the 6 hours of required General Electives.
- All attempted finance courses are used in the calculation of the Finance Major grade point average.
- Students completing the Commercial Banking Certificate must satisfy all the requirements of the Finance, B.B.A. major.
General B.B.A. Requirements
In order to earn a Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) degree, students must complete credit hour requirements:
- UH Core Courses & College Requirements,
- Pre-Business courses,
- STAT 3331 Statistical Analysis for Business Applications
- Additional UH Core Courses
- Advanced-Level Business Requirements (required for all business majors),
- Additional Elective Requirements
- Major Coursework Requirements
along with noncredit requirements:
- Assenting to the Bauer Code of Ethics and Professional Conduct, and
- A business writing evaluation (BWE), administered through GENB 3302 (formerly GENB 2301); student who score below a minimum of 2 on the BWE are required to complete and clear a business writing tutorial (BWT) administered through the UH Writing Center. Clearing the BWE or BWT is required to file a degree plan.
Credit Hour Requirements
Students seeking the Bachelor of Business Administration degree must complete freshman-sophomore core and pre-business requirements, upper-level business core and required courses, major requirements, satisfy the business writing evaluation (BWE), or students with scores below 2 on the BWE, clear the alternative business writing tutorial (BWT).
The total hours required for a Bachelor of Business Administration degree are summarized below. Students in the Bauer Business Honors Program have additional requirements as specified under the description of the Bauer Business Honors Program.
Students pursuing the Global Energy Management Professional Program (GEM-PP) track in Finance have specialized degree requirements listed under the GEM-PP track for a major in finance. Other specialty programs, such as the Professional Program in Accounting, the Entrepreneurship Program, and the Program for Excellence in Selling, may have additional admission and program requirements as specified by the program.
B.B.A. requirements also listed as approved UH core courses may fulfill both requirements, but students must have a minimum of 120 credit hours to earn the B.B.A.
Specific course requirements in each category are discussed in the following sections:
UH Core Courses & College Requirements
12 Credit Hours
21 Credit Hours
Courses require completion with a grade of “C” or higher.
Statistics 3331 - Statistical Analysis for Business Applications
3 Credit Hours
Additional UH Core Courses
24 Credit Hours
Advanced-Level Business Required Courses
24 Credit Hours
This section is required for all business majors.