2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]
Leadership Studies Minor
The Honors College >Leadership Studies Minor
The Minor in Leadership Studies is an interdisciplinary and experiential program open to baccalaureate students in all majors and degree programs. The foundation of the Minor in Leadership Studies is four leadership core hours, coupled with four elective courses organized into themes: Individual Leadership, Group/Organizational Leadership, Global Leadership, and Field Experience for a total of 17 credit hours.
The Minor in Leadership Studies seeks to promote college student leadership development by educating undergraduate students for and about leadership in a complex world. The goal of the minor is to prepare students to serve effectively in formal and informal leadership roles in campus, local, national, and global contexts. Faculty, staff, and students in the minor are dedicated to advancing the field of leadership studies by building upon and critically evaluating existing theoretical, research-based, and practical knowledge.
Core courses in the minor are sequenced to meet increasingly complex sets of learning outcomes across cognitive, personal development, group/organizational domains, and global dimensions. Students in the minor are exposed to diverse theories and perspectives on leadership and are encouraged to apply analytical skills to develop their own working philosophy of leadership that will serve them in organizational and career contexts. Civic engagement and multicultural competence are viewed as necessary requirements for leadership.
Eligibility and Application Process
In order to apply for the Minor in Leadership Studies, students must have:
- Completed at least 30 credit hours prior to application to the program.
- Be in good academic standing.
- Completed HON 3330 with a C or better.
- Met application deadlines: Applications will be accepted beginning on October 1 and March 1 for admission in the subsequent semester. The first 30 qualified applicants will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis each semester.
- Been admitted into the Minor prior to the completion of the final 9 credits of Minor coursework.