Aug 11, 2020  
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Bauer College of Business - Experience Track

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Major and Minor Fields of Study by College & Department

C.T. Bauer College of Business  > Experience Track


The Bauer College of Business recognizes the value of developing students’ professional development as an integral part of their academic career. Students who select the Experience Track in their degree program and satisfy its requirements will receive recognition for internship/Curricular Practical Training (CPT) experience by a transcript notation.

Eligibility for Internship:

  • Students with a UH grade point average 2.5 or greater, or permission of a department chair, are eligible for internship courses.
  • Students are eligible for internships after completing at least one semester of study in the Bauer College.
  • The work must be related to the student’s major.
  • Internships must be approved by an academic advisor and the Rockwell Career Center.
  • Additional restrictions apply to CPT for F-1 students (see below).

Steps to declare Experience Track:

  • Students must declare, by submitting a General Petition to their academic advisor, their intention to pursue this track prior to processing the paperwork for approval of the internship/CPT.
  • The academic advisor will verify the student’s academic eligibility for the internship/CPT. The student will be notified by email when the petition has either been approved or disapproved by the Bauer academic advisor.
  • The Rockwell Career Center (RCC) will review the internship, including the formal job offer on the hiring company’s stationary, a description of the work to be performed, a beginning and ending date, and the salary offered. The RCC will determine whether or not the internship/CPT will provide the student with appropriate experience relating to their major field of study.
    • If a positive determination is made, then
  1. If the student wants to register for credit (such as GENB 4396 ), then RCC will enroll the student in the course, otherwise
  2. If the student wants to register for a zero-credit co-op internship/CPT, the student takes the approved petition and the internship approval from the RCC to the Co-op Office in the career center of the Cullen College of Engineering to complete the process.
  3. F-1 students seeking CPT should visit the International Student Scholar Services Office (ISSSO) for special instructions prior to the steps above.

Further Information about Co-op Experiences:

Students are required to adhere to all deadlines and requirements set by the Cooperative Education & Internship Programs Office, (713) 743-4230. (The information below is also available at this link: Students should know the following about the course work, fees and reporting of the co-op experience.

  • Co-op education/training appears on the official transcript, therefore, students in the program must register each semester of Co-op using their PeopleSoft account to register and pay for the Co-op course. Students will use their PeopleSoft account to pay before the specified deadline each semester of Co-op. All Co-op students must submit a Co-op Data Form in person at the Co-op Office or via email to complete the process. Please review Student Co-op Participation Requirements to ensure you meet all requirements.
  • There is a processing fee charged for each semester a student receives education/training as a Co-op intern. The fee is posted directly to the student PeopleSoft account. Some employers reimburse the student for the processing fee; it is up to the student to discuss with the employer regarding Co-op fee reimbursement. If the employer agrees to reimburse the student, the student should provide the employer with documentation that the fee has been paid through PeopleSoft and request the employer issue the reimbursement separate from the student paycheck to ensure the student receives the full reimbursement with no taxes removed.
  • A Co-op Work Report is a pre-formatted 6-8 page document which must be completed to verify the work is educational training in a particular field of study.
    •  A letter grade is assigned based upon completion of the Work Report submitted by the student each semester of Co-op.
    • Co-op interns must complete and submit a Work Report each semester to verify the Co-op internship experience is within their field of study. Review of the Work Report (which includes an employer evaluation) assists in determining the letter grade received on the official transcript.
    • Work Reports must be completed, submitted and signed by the appropriate employment supervisor and faculty advisor before each semester deadline.
    • Work Reports and evaluations should be scanned and submitted via email to to confirm the date and time of the submission.
    • Submitting the Work Report after the deadline will result in the student receiving a lower letter grade on the official transcript down to and including a letter grade of F.
    • Three reminders will be sent to each Co-op student’s UH email address each semester of Co-op to ensure awareness of policies and deadlines.
    • If you are officially registered for Co-op and do not receive email reminders, please call (713) 743-4230 to ensure the Co-op Office has your correct UH email address on file.

Curricular Practical Training (CPT):

For students on an F-1 visa, all of the guidelines and deadlines above are in force. The following additional requirements will allow F-1 students to work without jeopardizing their immigration status. Upon visiting the ISSSO, F-1 students receive a CPT form. This form must be signed by the academic advisor or RCC to verify that the internship constitutes valid professional experience. This form is submitted to the Co-op Office in the Cullen College of Engineering before the start of the semester in which the student intends to participate in an internship. The CPT form is accompanied by a formal job offer on the hiring company’s stationary, a description of the work to be performed, a beginning and ending date, and the salary offered.

  • As with all internships, the work must be related to the student’s major.
  • F-1 students must have already completed at least two full semesters of academic study, including one full semester in Bauer College.
  • Only half-time employment is allowed during Fall and Spring semesters. Full-time employment is allowed during the Summer semester.      

Eligible Coursework:

To satisfy the requirements for the Experience Track, students must declare their intention to pursue the track and complete an approved internship/CPT. Three-credit academic courses exist for students who wish to receive academic credit for the internship experience. Zero-credit courses are also available for this purpose.

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Major and Minor Fields of Study by College & Department