2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]
Cullen College of Engineering - Industrial Experience
Cullen College of Engineering > Industrial Experience
The Cullen College of Engineering recognizes the value of developing students’ professional development as an integral part of their academic career. Students who select the Industrial Experience in their degree program and satisfy its requirements will receive recognition for internship and curricular practical training (CPT) experience by a transcript notation.
Eligibility for Internship:
- The work must be related to the student’s major.
- Internships must be approved by the Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success.
- Additional restrictions apply to CPT for F-1 students (see below).
Steps to declare Industrial Experience:
- Students will meet with an academic advisor in the Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success and will declare, by submitting a General Petition their intention to pursue the Industrial Experience sub plan prior to processing the paperwork for approval of the internship/CPT.
- The Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success will verify the student’s academic eligibility for the internship/CPT.
- The Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success will review the internship, including the formal job offer on the hiring company’s stationary, a description of the work to be performed, a beginning and ending date, and the salary offered. The Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success will determine whether or not the internship/CPT will provide the student with appropriate experience relating to their major field of study.
- If a positive determination is made, the student would register for a zero-credit co-op internship/CPT, the approved petition and the internship approval will be forwarded from the Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success to the Co-op Office in the career center of the Cullen College of Engineering to complete the process.
- F-1 students seeking CPT should visit the International Student Scholar Services Office (ISSSO) for special instructions prior to the steps above.
Further Information about Co-op Experiences:
Students are required to adhere to all deadlines and requirements set by the Cooperative Education & Internship Programs Office, (713) 743-4230. (The information below is also available at this link: http://career.egr.uh.edu/students/coop)
Students should know the following about the course work, fees and reporting of the co-op experience.
If you are officially registered for Co-op and do not receive email reminders, please call (713) 743-4230 to ensure the Co-op Office has your correct UH email address on file.
Curricular Practical Training (CPT):
For students on an F-1 visa, all of the guidelines and deadlines above are in force. The following additional requirements will allow F-1 students to work without jeopardizing their immigration status.
Upon visiting the OISSS, F-1 students receive a CPT form. This form must be signed by the Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success, to verify that the internship constitutes valid professional experience. This form is submitted to the Co-op Office in the Cullen College of Engineering before the start of the semester in which the student intends to participate in an internship. The CPT form is accompanied by a formal job offer on the hiring company’s stationary, a description of the work to be performed, a beginning and ending date, and the salary offered.
- As with all internships, the work must be related to the student’s major.
- F-1 students must have already completed at least two full semesters of academic study.
- Only half-time employment is allowed during Fall and Spring semesters. Full-time employment is allowed during the Summer semester.