Oct 19, 2018
College of Education > Department of Curriculum and Instruction > Education Minor, Certification Track
This minor is intended for teacher education students who wish to be prepared to teach secondary education. However, the minor alone does not include all coursework and experiences required to be recommended for Texas State Certification. Students who plan to complete certification at the secondary level or in select fields at all levels should select a major in the content area in which they wish to teach and complete the Education minor, with certification.
Certificates available through the Education Minor:
- English Language Arts (7th-12th grade)
- Social Studies (7th-12th grade)
- History (7th-12th grade)
- Speech (7th-12th grade)
- Journalism (7th-12th grade)
- Dance (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Music (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Art (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Theatre (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- French (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Latin (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Spanish (Early Childhood-12th grade)
- Italian (Early Childhood-12th grade)
Students may also seek certification in secondary mathematics, science, physical science, life science and chemistry through the teachHOUSTON program. Visit teachHOUSTON to learn more.
- Students must have a 2.0 minimum cumulative UH grade point average.
- Students must earn a 2.5 minimum cumulative grade point average and no lower than a C on all courses attempted in the minor.
Students who wish to be certified must also:
- Apply to the Teacher Education program, and meet all associated benchmark requirements, including passing a required writing assessment, completing an admissions interview, and demonstrating the ability to pass a criminal history background check, performed by participating school districts, to ensure that required school field placements can be completed.
- meet all benchmarks outlined on the Education - Certification Track Minor Degree Plan;
- Successfully pass CUIN 4315 and EPSY 3360 ;
- successfully complete Student Teaching requirements; and
- major in the area of certification.