Dec 15, 2017
The Honors College >Global Studies and Research Certificate
A certificate in Global Studies and Research is offered to undergraduate students of any major at the University of Houston through the Honors College. It is open to all students whether they are in the Honors College or not. It is designed to promote interdisciplinary study and research from a global perspective at the undergraduate level. Students pursuing the certificate are encouraged to attend Global Studies speaker events, participate in learning abroad programs in order to enhance their facility in languages other than English, and develop their research toward the completion of a senior honors thesis. Students conducting independent research may qualify for SURF (fellowships) and PURS (scholarships).
Approved majors, minors, clusters of courses, and study abroad programs can serve as foundation work leading to an interdisciplinary capstone course for all students seeking the Certificate: HON 4360: Capstone Seminar on Globalization, cross-listed with INTB 4397 Selected Topics in International Business: Seminar in Globalization and POLS 4396 Selected Topics in Comparative and International Politics: Capstone Seminar on Globalization. Students must have a cumulative 3.5 GPA in coursework undertaken at the University of Houston, or consent of the program director to enroll in the capstone course. The Certificate requires a minimum of 15 semester credit hours, 12 hours of which must be advanced. Routes to the certificate would include:
- capstone course on top of an approved minor (see list below);
- 12 credit hours of approved study abroad plus the capstone;
- 9 credit hours of approved study abroad, plus 3 credit hours of approved coursework with a global or international focus, plus capstone;
- 6 credit hours of approved study abroad, plus 6 credit hours of approved coursework with a global or international focus, plus the capstone;
- 3 credit hours of approved study abroad, plus 9 credit hours of approved coursework with a global or international focus, at least 6 of which must be upper-division, plus the capstone;
- 12 credit hours approved coursework with a global or international focus, plus the capstone.
Academic petitions for approval of coursework that can be applied to the Certificate, including minors not listed below, will be made to the director of the Global Studies Program and the dean of the Honors College. Minors that can be used as the foundation work for the Certificate include the following:
- French for Business-Related Professions
- German Area Studies
- Global and International Studies
- India Studies
- Spanish for the Business Professions
- World Cultures & Literature
Certificate in Global Studies and Research Program Requirements:
15 semester hours, at least 12 of which must be advanced. A 3.5 cumulative GPA or director’s permission is required to enroll in the capstone course.
- Any level approved elective courses Credit Hours: 3.0
- Advanced level approved elective courses Credit Hours: 9.0
- HON 4375: Global Studies and Research Credit Hours: 3.0
Up to 12 semester hours may be earned through approved study abroad programs.
Please submit academic petitions for approval of coursework to the Honors College, 212 M.D. Anderson Library, 212B.
For further information, contact:
Dr. A. Olivia Miljanic