Jun 06, 2020
To provide advanced training and performance experience for students pursuing a career in music performance.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
In addition or supplementary to the admission requirements stated on the Moores School of Music Master of Music Programs page, applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in music (preferably in applied music).
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 for last 60 term hours and 3.00 for all music hours.
- Submission of TOEFL scores (as applicable) that meet University of Houston minimum standards.
- Full senior recital in the undergraduate degree program.
- Beginning graduate-level performance ability as determined in an audition before members of the graduate faculty.
- Satisfactory results on entrance examinations in music theory and music history. (Unsatisfactory results will require remedial coursework beyond courses required for the degree.)
- Comprehensive Examination Requirement: Students must pass a comprehensive examination in the last term of study.
- Recital Requirement: Students are required to present one full solo recital.
Complete 12.0 Credit Hours¹ from:
- MUSA 6312 - Applied Organ Credit Hours: 3.0
Complete 2.0 Credit Hours from:
- MUSI 6204 - Applied Choral Conducting Credit Hours: 2.0 OR
- MUSA 6214 - Applied Harpsichord Credit Hours: 2.0
21.0 Credit Hours in the following:
- MUSI 6327 - Collaborative Skills for Organists I Credit Hours: 3.0
- MUSI 6328 - Collaborative Skills for Organists II Credit Hours: 3.0
- MUSI 6329 - Seminar in Organ Literature Credit Hours: 3.0
- MUSI 6300 - Introduction to Research Methods in Musicology Credit Hours: 3.0
- Music Theory Elective Credit Hours: 3.0
- Music History/Literature Electives² Credit Hours: 6.0
¹ Additional hours of applied study in the major area are not applied toward the degree plan.
² Students are encouraged to take a literature course in their discipline.
Program Total: 35.0 Credit Hours