Sep 18, 2020
Colleges > Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts > Moores School of Music > Master of Music Programs > Vocal Performance and Pedagogy Track
To provide private music teachers advanced training in string performance and in techniques of private and group string teaching.
Minimum Entrance Requirements:
In addition or supplementary to the admission requirements stated on the Moores School of Music Master of Music Programs page, applicant must meet the following requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in music (preferably in applied voice or music education with choral emphasis).
- Minimum GPA of 3.00 for last 60 term hours and 3.00 for all music hours.
- Submission of TOEFL scores (as applicable) that meet University of Houston minimum standards.
- Full senior recital in the undergraduate degree program.
- Beginning graduate-level performance ability as determined in an audition before members of the graduate faculty.
- Satisfactory results on entrance examinations in music theory and music history; and for voice majors, English, Italian, French, and German diction. (Unsatisfactory results will require remedial coursework beyond courses required for the degree.)
- Comprehensive Examination Requirement: Students must pass a comprehensive examination in the last term of study.
- Recital Requirement: Students are required to present one full recital, half of which will be a solo performance by the student, and half of which will be solo performances by the student’s private students.
Complete 12.0 Credit Hours¹ from:
Complete 2.0 Credit Hours from:
- MUSI 6106 - Grad Large Ensemble Credit Hours: 1.0
- MUSI 6101 - Opera Role Performance Credit Hours: 1.0
- MUSI 6300 - Introduction to Research Methods in Musicology Credit Hours: 3.0
- MUSI 6350 - Applied Music Pedagogy Credit Hours: 3.0
- MUSI 6351 - Applied Music Pedagogy Credit Hours: 3.0
- Music Theory Elective Credit Hours: 3.0
- Music History/Literature Credit Hours: 6.0
- Graduate Elective Credit Hours: 3.0
¹ Additional hours of applied study in the major area are not applied toward the degree plan.
² Students are encouraged to take a literature course in their discipline.
Program Total: 35.0 Credit Hours