May 18, 2022
College of Liberal Arts & Social Sciences > Department of Sociology > Experience Track
The Department of Sociology recognizes the value of developing students’ professional development as an integral part of their academic career. Students who select the Experience Track in their degree program and satisfy its requirements will receive recognition for internship and curricular practical training (CPT) experience by transcript notation.
To satisfy the requirements of the Experience Track, students must complete two courses:
- SOC 3395 - Careers in Sociology
- SOC 4394 - Internship in Sociology
Steps to Declare the Experience Track
- Students must declare by submitting a General Petition to the Sociology Undergraduate Advisor their intention to pursue this track prior to processing the paperwork for approval of the internship/CPT.
- The Sociology Undergraduate Advisor will verify the student’s academic eligibility for internship/CPT and enroll qualified applicants in SOC 4394.
- Students will identify their internship placement in coordination with the faculty instructor of SOC 4394. An Internship Agreement will be drafted by the student in coordination with the field site supervisor that clearly details the terms of the internship, including a description of the work to be performed, a beginning and ending date, and the salary, if any, offered.
F-1 students seeking CPT should visit the International Student Scholar Services Office (ISSS) for special instructions prior to initiating the steps above.
For more information about Co-op Education and CPT, please visit the Co-operative Education (Co-op) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT) page.
SOC3995 Careers in Sociology
Details: Using a sociological perspective, the course explores careers available to students with a Bachelor’s degree in Sociology; we accomplish this through readings, guest speakers, and research about careers in the private/for-profit sector, nonprofit/foundations, public sector (city, county, state, and federal government), and academia (including graduate school).
SOC4394 Internship in Sociology
Prerequisites for the Internship
- Sociology major or minor
- 2.5 cumulative GPA in sociology courses
- Field experience in an agency for 90 hours (about 6 hrs per week for the 14 weeks of the semester)
- Field journal
- Reading Assignments
- Attending three group classes with the other interns
- Three skype or in person meetings with the Sociology Internship Director
- Final project (paper, video, or other format) in which you use sociological concepts or methods to discuss your internship agency and/or experience.