Jun 07, 2023  
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Undergraduate Catalog

Cullen College of Engineering - Industrial Experience

Cullen College of Engineering  > Industrial Experience

The Cullen College of Engineering recognizes the value of developing students’ professional development as an integral part of their academic career. Students who select the Industrial Experience in their degree program and satisfy its requirements will receive recognition for internship and curricular practical training (CPT) experience by a transcript notation.

Eligibility for Internship:

  • The work must be related to the student’s major.
  • Internships must be approved by the Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success.
  • Additional restrictions apply to CPT for F-1 students (see below).

Steps to declare Industrial Experience:

  1. Students will meet with an academic advisor in the Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success and will declare, by submitting a General Petition their intention to pursue the Industrial Experience sub plan prior to processing the paperwork for approval of the internship/CPT.
  2. The Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success will verify the student’s academic eligibility for the internship/CPT. 
  3. The Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success will review the internship, including the formal job offer on the hiring company’s stationery, a description of the work to be performed, a beginning and ending date, and the salary offered. The Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success will determine whether or not the internship/CPT will provide the student with appropriate experience relating to their major field of study.
    • If a positive determination is made, the student would enroll in a zero-credit co-op internship/CPT, the approved petition and the internship approval will be forwarded from the Division of Engineering Undergraduate Programs and Student Success to the Co-op Office in the career center of the Cullen College of Engineering to complete the process.

F-1 students seeking CPT should visit the International Student Scholar Services Office (ISSSO) for special instructions prior to the steps above.

Further Information about Co-op Experiences

Students are required to adhere to all deadlines and requirements set by the Cooperative Education Program, (713) 743-4230. (The information below is also available at this link: www.egr.uh.edu/coop)

Students should know the following about the course work, fees and reporting of the co-op experience.

  • Co-op education/training appears on the official transcript, therefore, students in the program must register each semester of Co-op using their PeopleSoft account to register and pay for the Co-op course. Students will use their PeopleSoft account to pay before the specified deadline each semester of Co-op. All Co-op students must submit a Co-op Data Form in person at the Co-op Office or via email to complete the process.
  • There is a processing fee charged for each semester a student receives education/training as a Co-op intern. The fee is posted directly to the student PeopleSoft account. Some employers reimburse the student for the processing fee; it is up to the student to discuss with the employer regarding Co-op fee reimbursement. If the employer agrees to reimburse the student, the student should provide the employer with documentation that the fee has been paid through PeopleSoft and request the employer issue the reimbursement separate from the student paycheck to ensure the student receives the full reimbursement with no taxes removed.
  • A Co-op Work Report is a pre-formatted document which must be completed to verify the work is educational training in a particular field of study.
    • A grade of S (Satisfactory) or U (Unsatisfactory) is assigned based upon completion of the Work Report submitted by the student each semester of Co-op.
    • Co-op interns must complete and submit a Work Report each semester to verify the Co-op internship experience is within their field of study. Review of the Work Report (which includes an employer evaluation) assists in determining the grade received on the official transcript.
    • Work Reports must be completed, submitted and signed by the appropriate employment supervisor and faculty advisor before each semester deadline.
    • Work Reports and evaluations should be scanned and uploaded through the UH Blackboard CO-OP course site, to confirm the date and time of the submission.
    • Submitting the Work Report after the deadline will result in the student receiving an
    • U (Unsatisfactory) grade on the official transcript.
      • Reminders will be communicated through the UH Blackboard CO-OP course site, to ensure awareness of policies and deadlines.
      • If you are officially registered for Co-op and do not receive a reminder, please call (713) 743-4230.

Eligible Coursework:

To satisfy the requirements for the Industrial Experience, students must declare their intention to pursue the track and complete a minimum of one semester of an approved internship/CPT using zero-credit courses.