Sep 26, 2023
- Students with BS in chemical engineering.
- Minimum undergraduate grade-point average (GPA) of 3.0 (based on 4.0); accepted students typically are in the top 10% of class (3.35 or better based on 4.0)
- Accepted students typically have total GRE score 300 or better (Quantitative of 155 or better).
Be advised that meeting these criteria does not guarantee admission.
Acceptance into the program is based on a competitive combination of academic background, GRE scores, recommendation letters, resume, and the statement of purpose. The Checklists below list all requirements for the Application Submission:
- UH Graduate School Application
- Scanned copies of official transcript will be used for the application evaluation (upload). However IF admitted Official Transcript with the date your degree was Conferred/Awarded must be submitted to the Graduate School before enrollment can take place.
- GRE scores (University code is 6870)
- Statement of Purpose (uploaded- if possible no longer than 2 pages)
- Resume (uploaded)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (emails must be listed on the online application)
- Application Fee [$25 domestic applicants/$75 international applicants] (cannot be waived)
- International applications have additional documentation and English language proficiency requirements. Please visit the English Language Proficiency Requirements page for more information.
Credit hours required for this degree: 30.0
Program Study for the Master of Science in Chemical Engineering (MS):
The program requires the completion of 30 credit hours of approved graduate work. Which consist of four core courses and six elective courses.
GRADUATE CORE COURSES (12 Credit hrs.)
- CHEE 6333 - Transport Processes Credit Hours: 3.0
- CHEE 6335 - Classicl-Statist Thermo Credit Hours: 3.0
- CHEE 6337 - Advanced Reactor Engr Credit Hours: 3.0 (in lieu of CHEE 6360) OR
- CHEE 6360 - Biomolecular Engr Fundamentals Credit Hours: 3.0 (in lieu of CHEE 6337)
GRADUATE ELECTIVE COURSES (18 Credit hrs.)
The six graduate-level elective courses may be chosen from the department offerings. ONLY two elective graduate-level courses (6 credit hours) from other departments may be substituted for chemical electives. It is possible to cross-enroll to Rice or Baylor College of Medicine in some cases. Basic computer science (COSC) classes, as well as the finance and accounting courses offered in the MChE program (e.g. CHEE 6368 , CHEE 6369 and CHEE 6383 ); need the Graduate Director approval before enrolling as electives.