The University of Houston offers bachelor’s degree programs that meet the Texas State Board of Education requirements for the Provisional Teaching Certificate.
Programs of study leading to certification are approved jointly by CLASS and the College of Education. In this college, students may pursue certification in Art, Dance, English, French, German, History, Italian, Journalism, Latin, Music, Spanish, Social Studies Composite, and Speech Communication.
Students will take professional education courses in the College of Education and subject matter courses in this college. Advisors in CLASS will prepare students’ degree plans. Consult academic advisors in the department of the major each semester and regularly consult with advisors in the College of Education. See the College of Education section of this catalog for a more complete explanation of these options.
Note: Rules and regulations are set forth by the State of Texas and are subject to change at any time. The College of Education reserves the right to make changes to accommodate the State Board for Educator Certification, the Coordinating Board, and university decisions.
CLASS Requirements for Entry into College of Education’s Quality Education for Students and Teachers (QUEST) Sequence
To be eligible to apply for acceptance into the College of Education’s QUEST Sequence, students whose primary major is in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLASS) must satisfy all of the following requirements.
- Achieve at least minimum passing scores for enrollment at the University of Houston.
- Demonstrate speech proficiency. This may be done by earning a grade of C or higher in either COMM 1331 or COMM 1332 .
- Demonstrate computer proficiency. This may be done by satisfactorily completing CUIN 3313 during the QUEST Sequence.
To qualify for admission to the QUEST sequence in any teaching field(s) in the College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences, students must satisfy the following requirements in addition to those required for their bachelor’s degrees.
- Have an overall cumulative grade point average of at least 2.50.
- Have a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.50 on all courses taken to satisfy the major requirements in the teaching field(s).
For further information on teacher certification programs, consult the College of Education section of this catalog or academic advisors in the major fields of study offered for teacher certification in this college.
|University of Houston
College of Education
Curriculum and Instruction
||256 Farish Hall
|Houston, TX 77204-5027