Jun 16, 2024  
2012-2013 Graduate Catalog 
2012-2013 Graduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Continuous Enrollment

Planning the Graduate Program  > Continuous Enrollment

In general, graduate students are expected to be enrolled in consecutive long semesters (i.e., Fall and Spring semesters) until the degree program is completed and the degree is awarded.

The graduate student who is not enrolled should not expect to be able to use the facilities of the University of Houston campus. Students who cannot enroll in a given semester must apply to their college for a leave of absence in order to remain in good standing. Students should contact the office of the dean for individual college regulations on enrollment. A student who does not return to enrolled status at the end of an approved period of leave is no longer considered to be pursuing an advanced degree.

A student who leaves the university without obtaining a formal leave of absence from graduate study is not automatically readmitted. The recommendation of the department and the approval of the college dean, based on the academic merits of the student’s request, are required. If readmitted, the student will be subject to all of the current requirements for the degree in effect at the time of readmission.

Doctoral students who have begun their graduate research must be continuously enrolled in each long semester unless they have an approved leave of absence. A doctoral student not on campus, and who is not using university resources, may be permitted by the Dean of the College and the Office of Graduate and Professional Studies to carry a reduced course load.