Jul 18, 2024  
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Cullen College of Engineering

Admission Requirements  > Transfer Student Admission Requirements  > Cullen College of Engineering

Requirements for Students from Other Institutions Seeking Admission to UH and the Cullen College of Engineering

To be considered for admission, students must meet the GPA requirements shown in the table below and have completed at least:

  1. One non-remedial college level English course;
  2. MATH 1431 - Calculus I  and MATH 1432 - Calculus II  
  3. CHEM 1331 - Fundamentals of Chemistry  and
  4. PHYS 1321 - University Physics I  
Area Required GPA*
All college level work attempted 3.25
All calculus courses and math courses with calculus prerequisites attempted 3.0
All college level science courses** required by any engineering major attempted 3.0
All college level non-remedial English courses attempted 2.5
All college level engineering courses attempted*** 3.0

*In the calculation of each GPA all attempts taken at any institution count, even if a course was repeated.

**Biology 1361/1161 and 1362/1162, Chemistry 1331/111, 1332/1112, 1372/1117, 321, 3331, and 3332, Geology 1330/1130, Physics 1321/1121 and 1322/1122.


Requirements for current UH Students Seeking a Major Change to Engineering

UH students seeking a major change to engineering must satisfy the requirements above and also complete ENGI 1331 Computing for Engineers. ***


Requirements for Non-Engineering Students to Enroll in Engineering Courses

ENGI 1100 : Open to all majors at UH with credit for or concurrent enrollment in MATH 1431 .

ENGI 1331 : Meet all minimum GPA requirements above, have a B or better in MATH 1431, and a B or better in CHEM 1331.***

To take first sophomore (2000) level engineering course(s) in the major: meet all prerequisites for the course; meet all minimum GPA requirements above; and, have a B or better in CHEM 1331, ENGI 1331, MATH 1432 and PHYS 1321. Major courses (courses that count towards a program’s major GPA) are defined in each major’s section of the Undergraduate Catalog.***

***Non-engineering students at UH may be allowed to attempt freshman and lower-level sophomore courses as detailed above. See the advisor for the engineering major of interest to discuss. Requests for enrollment in engineering courses must be made in writing on a General Petition form. Enrollment decisions will be made based on your academic performance, space availability in your major of interest, and space availability in the engineering course(s) in which you seek enrollment.