Jul 18, 2024  
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

International Students

Admission Requirements  > Other Student Admission Considerations > International Students



In addition to the general admission requirements, the following requirements apply to those applicants who have studied outside the U.S.

General Requirements

  1. A nonrefundable admission/evaluation fee of $75 (U.S. currency) must be submitted, along with the application. by all applicants who hold or will be holding visas permitting permanent residence in the U.S. Applications will not be considered unless the necessary fee is paid.
  2. A copy of all official transcripts from secondary schools and university entrance examinations when appropriate.
  3. Applicants with any post-secondary college or university academic course work must submit their complete college or university academic record.
  4. All official documents must be on file with the Office of International Admissions before an evaluation of academic qualifications can be made. An official English translation of the transcripts must be included if the academic transcripts are in a foreign language.
  5. Applicants who have completed any education outside the U.S. must submit evidence of satisfactory English proficiency before admission will be granted. A score of 550 or higher on the paper based TOEFL, 79 on the Internet-based text (IBT) or 6.5 on the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. Applicants are expected to complete the essay section of the TOEFL whenever it is included as part of the exam. The following applicants are exempt from the English Language Proficiency requirement.
    1. Those exempt from this requirement are students from Australia, the British Isles, the Bahamas, English-speaking Canadian Provinces, Jamaica, New Zealand, Belize, Fiji Islands, Liberia, Sierra Leone, South Africa, Trinidad, the Virgin Islands, the West Indies, Zimbabwe, and those who speak English as their native language,
    2. Students who qualify for admission on the same basis as U.S. high school graduates.
    3. Applicants who have graduated with the Associate of Arts or Associate of Science degree from a two-year college accredited by the appropriate Regional Association of Schools and Colleges in the U.S.
    4. Students who have earned bachelor’s degrees or higher at an accredited U.S. college or university
  6. Applicants holding F-1 or J-1 visas must have a signed financial backing form guaranteeing the sponsors ability to pay the student’s expenses while studying at the university along with bank statement. The financial backing must be signed by a parent, guardian, bank, or other reliable financial institution, or by a U.S. citizen who will be responsible for the student’s financial needs. The financial backing form can be found on our Web site at: http://www.uh.edu/admissions/apply/admissionsforms/index.php.
  7. Applicants holding visas permitting permanent residence in the U.S. must submit two passport-sized photographs before enrollment.
  8. Applicants are to provide UH with a valid overseas address.
  9. A photocopy of the applicant’s current passport showing name, date of birth, and visa type.
  10. The application and all credentials must be on file by April 1 for the summer term and fall semester and by October 1 for the spring semester.
  11. Only the Director of Admissions may issue an official notification of acceptance for admission.

Undergraduate Students

International students who have attended U.S., regionally accredited, high schools are required to submit SAT or ACT scores as part of their credentials for admission. The SAT or ACT scores are required of freshmen students who completed high school in countries where English is the native language. Students who have graduated from a U.S. high school must meet the admission requirements for U.S. high school graduates. See the section on Freshman Admission Requirements .

Applicants must have earned a minimum grade point average of 3.00 (B) on all secondary school work attempted for freshmen admissions. Graduation from a secondary school generally implies completion of at least 12 years of education. Graduation from a college or university implies completion of 16 years of education. Students who transfer from a U.S. university must meet the specific transfer requirements. See the section on Transfer Student Admission Requirements . Students who transfer from a foreign university must also have a 3.00 minimum cumulative grade point average. Some departments and colleges may have additional admission requirements.

Applicants who are permanent residents of the U.S. will be considered under the same academic criteria as U.S. citizens, however, applicants who have not graduated from a U.S. high school, will need to meet the 550 on the paper based test, 79 on internet based test minimum TOEFL, or 6.5 overall bandscore IELTS score requirements for international students. See the section on General Requirements for International Students . All inquiries and documents should be addressed to:

University of Houston
Office of Admissions
Welcome Center
4400 University Dr.
Houston, Texas 77204-2023

Graduate Students

Information about graduate studies and admission requirements may be found on the Graduate and Professional Studies Web site at www.uh.edu/admissions/graduate/.