Jun 23, 2024  
2016-2017 Graduate Catalog 
2016-2017 Graduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Dropping Courses

Policies  > Dropping Courses

Note: The university publishes the dates for dropping and withdrawing in the Academic Calendar  listed in each semester class schedule.

Graduate students who are in a warning status because they failed to maintain a B average the previous semester may not drop a course without the recommendation of the graduate advisor and the approval of the department chair.


Enrollment in a course may be terminated in any one of the following ways:

  1. Before the first class day and until the official report date for the term, students who wish to drop a course may do so by going online to myUH without signature of the instructor.
  2. After a grade, and until the last day to drop courses, graduate students who wish to drop a course must submit a drop form with the instructor signature to the Welcome Center by the deadline. The student is then assigned the letter “W”. Business, Engineering, and Law majors also must obtain permission from the dean of the college.
  3. An instructor may drop students only through the last day for dropping courses for the following reasons: excessive absences; if the prerequisites or co-requisites for the course listed in the current catalog have not been met; or for causes which tend to disrupt the academic process (except those actions involving academic honesty which come under the jurisdiction of the Academic Honesty  policy. Students may make a timely appeal through the office of the dean of the college in which the course is taught. Students are responsible for keeping copies of their drop forms and for verifying whether they have been dropped from a course with the Office of the University Registrar, located in the Welcome Center.
  4. After the last day for dropping courses, graduate students may drop or be dropped by their instructor from a course with a “W”, as determined by the instructor, only with the approval of the dean of the college in which the course is offered and only for rare, urgent, and substantiated nonacademic reasons. Students are expected to commit themselves as early as possible (at least by mid-semester) to courses for the remainder of the semester.

The effective date of the dropped course will be date that the requests has been processed by the Office of the University Registrar.


Students wishing to seek reinstatement should discuss the request with the instructor and departmental advisor. If both agree, the student and advisor should complete a general petition requesting the reinstatement. The petition must be signed by the instructor, department chair, college dean (or his/her designee), and The Graduate School.