Jul 19, 2024  
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog 
2017-2018 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Undergraduate Academic Grievances

Policies  > Academic Regulations > Undergraduate Academic Grievances

Issues of grievance regarding grades, course requirements and classroom procedures can occur. The first and best source for resolving the problem is with the professor. The university expects most issues to be resolved amicably and informally with the professor. In the event that an informal resolution is not possible, students may file a written grievance on a General Petition Form, available in department and college offices, and online at www.uh.edu/academics/forms. These forms must be filed with the professor within 90 calendar days of the posting of the final grades for the course. Appeals may be considered at the following levels, as necessary: professor, departmental chair, college dean, senior vice president for academic affairs (or designated representative at all levels). Faculty are required to retain all evaluated student material not previously returned for a six month period after the end of the last class of the term evaluated.

Because assigning a grade for evaluating a student’s work performance involves the faculty’s professional judgment and is an integral part of the faculty’s teaching responsibilities, disagreement with an instructor concerning a grade or evaluation is not a justifiable grievance to be considered under this policy unless a violation of university, college, or department academic policies or procedures can be shown to have affected that grade or evaluation.

Please note that appeals for decisions in the following areas are guided by separate appeal or grievance policies and procedures: Affirmative Action, Academic Honesty, Student Life, and Financial Responsibility.