Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts > General Degree Information
All candidates for bachelor’s degrees in the Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts (KGMCA) - Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Music - must meet the following general college requirements. Since some major fields of study may impose additional or higher requirements, students should refer to the department section of this catalog for complete requirements and total number of hours required for a specific major.
The following are the minimum college requirements for a bachelor’s degree in the Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts (KGMCA).
- Satisfactory completion of at least 120 semester hours of acceptable credit. (Students sometimes may be able to use a single course to satisfy more than one degree requirement; however, a student may not “double count” such a course for purposes of satisfying the 120 semester hour requirement.)
- All bachelor’s degrees require completion of a core curriculum. Further information on courses that satisfy core curriculum requirements can be obtained by consulting the UH Core Curriculum 2020-2021 , the current class listings, or an academic advisor.
- Satisfactory completion of all university core curriculum requirement.
- Satisfactory completion of at least 30 semester hours of credit in residence at the University of Houston.
- Satisfactory completion of the last 30 semester hours of credit to be applied toward the degree in residence at the university; see the university policy for permitted exceptions.
- Satisfactory completion of at least 36 semester hours of credit in advanced courses (i.e. 3000- or 4000-level). Repeated advanced courses may not count towards this requirement.
- Satisfactory completion of at least 27 semester hours of credit in one major field of study.
- Satisfactory completion of at least 18 semester hours of advanced credit in one major field of study. (Students seeking teacher certification must fulfill specific requirements stated under Teacher Certification Program in the College of Education section of this catalog.)
- Satisfactory completion of at least 15 semester hours of credit, at least 12 of which shall be advanced, in the major, in residence at the university.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 on all coursework attempted in the major in residence, including:
- all coursework attempted in the subject area of the major residence and
- all University of Houston coursework outside the subject area of the major if approved by department to meet major requirements.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.00 on all coursework attempted in the minor in residence including:
- all coursework attempted in the subject area of the minor in residence and
- all University of Houston coursework outside the subject area of the minor if approved by the department to meet minor requirements.
Course Limitations and Restrictions
- Courses designated as remedial courses, such as ENGL 1300 , MATH 1300 , or READ 1300 , shall not apply toward the 120 hour semester requirement for any degree in KGMCA.
- Students shall not apply more credit toward their degrees in KGMCA than is indicated below for the following courses:
- No more than a combined total of 8 semester hours from DAN 1106, 1107, 1110, 1111, 1112, 1113, 1115, 1211, 1213, and DAN 1215 .
- No more than a combined total of 8 semester hours from MUSI 1100 , MUSI 1102 , MUSI 1103 , MUSI 1110 , MUSI 1120 , MUSI 1121 , and MUSI 1140 .
- No more than a combined total of 8 semester hours from THEA 1111 and THEA 1112 .
- Unless they are obtaining a minor or major in Kinesiology, students can count toward a degree in KGMCA any KIN or PEB course with the following restrictions:
- No more than three semester hours in KIN or PEB 1 credit hour physical activity courses.
- No special problems courses in KIN or PEB.
- Courses numbered 6000 or higher are normally limited to graduate and postbaccalaureate students. Students may request permission from their department or college to enroll in these classes.
- KGMCA students may use no more than 6 credit hours of Special Problems and/or Internship courses to satisfy any major requirements in KGMCA, and no more than 6 credit hours to satisfy any minor requirements in KGMCA.
Manual verification is needed to ensure that no more than 6 credit hours of special problems/Internships are used towards either all KGMCA major requirements or all KGMCA minor requirements.
Bachelor of Arts Degree
In addition to meeting the general university and college degree requirements previously stated, candidates for the Bachelor of Arts degree in KGMCA must complete the following college requirements, all of which may be satisfied either by course credit or credit by examination:
- Satisfactory completion of six semester hours of credit at the 2000-level or higher in one foreign language. More information is available in the Academic Regulations and Degree Requirements section in this catalog.
- Satisfactory completion of nine additional semester credit hours, in any three different fields of study offered by departments, schools, and programs within the Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts (ARLD, ARTH, ART, DAN, IART, MUSI, THEA) or in the departments of English (ENGL) or WGSS. Additionally, the following courses may be used: GERM 3369 World War I in Literature, Visual Arts, and Film , WCL 2351 World Cultures Through Literature and Art , or PHIL 1361 Philosophy and the Arts .
The following restrictions apply:
- credit must be in a field of study outside the student’s major and must be in addition to courses used toward the student’s major degree program requirements.
- credit must be in addition to that used to satisfy any core curriculum requirement.
- credit must be in addition to that used to satisfy the B.A. degree’s foreign language requirement.
- One credit hour physical activity courses in KIN and PEB cannot be used towards this requirement.
- Physical Education Basic Instruction (PEB) special problems/independent studies courses cannot be used towards this requirement.
Satisfactory completion of one of the following requirements:
- a second bachelor’s degree.
- a second major.
- an approved minor.
- a senior honors thesis.
- Nonprofit Leadership Alliance Certificate Program (formerly American Humanics).
Bachelor of Fine Arts Degree
Candidates for the Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in KGMCA must satisfactorily complete the university core curriculum requirements previously listed and the stated requirements for the major.
Bachelor of Music Degree
Candidates for Bachelor of Music degree in KGMCA must satisfactorily complete the university core curriculum requirements previously listed and stated requirements for the major.
The university offers several advanced degrees through KGMCA. For more information about advanced degrees, refer to the appropriate department or Graduate and Professional Studies catalog.