Jun 19, 2024  
2020-2021 Graduate Catalog 
2020-2021 Graduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Continuous Enrollment

Policies  > Degree Requirements > Continuous Enrollment

In general, graduate students are expected to be enrolled in consecutive long terms (i.e., Fall and Spring terms) until the degree program is completed and the degree is awarded.

A graduate student who is not enrolled should not expect to be able to use the facilities of the University of Houston campus. Students who cannot enroll in a given term must apply to their college for a leave of absence in order to remain in good standing. Students should contact the office of the dean for individual college regulations on enrollment. A student who does not return to enrolled status at the end of an approved period of leave is no longer considered to be pursuing an advanced degree.

A student who leaves the university without obtaining a formal leave of absence from graduate study is not automatically readmitted. The recommendation of the department and the approval of the college dean, based on the academic merits of the student’s request, are required. If readmitted, the student will be subject to all of the current requirements for the degree in effect at the time of readmission.

Doctoral students who have begun their graduate research must be continuously enrolled in each long term unless they have an approved leave of absence. A doctoral student not on campus, and who is not using university resources, may be permitted by the Dean of the College and the Dean of the Graduate School to carry a reduced course load.

Leaves of Absence

Any doctoral or professional students who cannot enroll in a given term must apply for a leave of absence using a Graduate and Professional Student Petition to remain in good standing.

Leaves of absence may only be granted by the college dean for exceptional circumstances such as educational opportunities which will not require the use of university resources, personal problems which temporarily interfere with the student’s ability to continue in the program, or other such circumstances as the dean determines are extenuating.

Leaves of absence shall be granted for specific periods of time, e.g. one term, one year, etc. and may contain requirements for readmission into the program. A student who requests an extension of a current leave of absence shall have that request considered as a new request.