Jul 19, 2024  
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog 
2022-2023 Graduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Special Programs and Opportunities

Policies  > Graduate Student Assistantships > Special Programs and Opportunities


Army Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC)

The objective of the Army Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) program is to produce high quality leaders for the United States Army. Upon completion of a degree and the ROTC advanced course, students may be offered a regular or reserve commission in the United States Army, Army Reserve or National Guard. Interested students should contact the Department of Military Science at 743-3875 or write to:

Department of Military Science
Hofheinz Pavilion
3422 Cullen Boulevard Room 28
Houston, TX 77204-6014
Email: armyrotc@uh.edu

Cooperative Education

The Cooperative Education Program (CO-OP) is a documented internship which appears on a currently enrolled student’s university transcript. CO-OP experience enables students to receive valuable educational training with pay in the student’s major field of study either part-time (parallel) or full-time (rotational). Students in certain colleges and programs are eligible to participate in CO-OP after completing a minimum of two semesters within their major field of study, including transfer, graduate and international students on F1-Visas. Students are required to submit work report at the end of each CO-OP semester to document receiving work experience in their major field of study and to receive a grade on the official transcript. The CO-OP program is only available to students in selected colleges and programs. Currently, CO-OP positions are available to students in Engineering, Business, Natural Science and Mathematics, Architecture, Music, Communication, Technology, PharmD, and Law.

For further information, contact:

University of Houston
Director of Cooperative Education
Engineering Bldg 1
4726 Calhoun Rd, Room 302
Houston, TX 77204-4028

Graduate Global Citizens Credential

This program is targeted to graduate students who are interested in pursuing global careers in the foreign service, international institutions, non-governmental international organizations, or multinational corporations. The Graduate Global Citizens Credential (GGCC) will allow students to enhance their degrees with a set of core competencies that will distinguish them as global citizens. These core competencies are identified as global knowledge, global engagement, and global responsibility. Completion of GGCC requirements is certified by the Office of the Provost - Institute for Global Engagement and the Office of the University Registrar. For more information, visit: Graduate Global Citizens Credential .

Graduate-Level Inter-institutional Agreement

The University of Houston has a reciprocal arrangement with selected regional universities that enables enrolled, full-time graduate students to take a maximum six hours of graduate-level course work at those participating institutions. Institutions participating in this inter-institutional agreement are Baylor College of Medicine, Rice University, the University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and the University of Texas Medical Branch. The agreement with these other institutions provides for special admission arrangements, procedures for registration, and posting of final grades. To be eligible to utilize this program, a student must meet the following criteria: they must be enrolled full-time (including the proposed inter-institutional course), the course involved must cover a topic not being offered at the UH main campus, and the course must be required for student’s degree plan. Also, students are prohibited from participating in the inter-institutional program during the semester in which they intend to graduate.  

Students should initiate this process by completing an inter-institutional course registration form (www.uh.edu/graduate-school/forms) and submitting it to the Office of the University Registrar in the Welcome Center. In all cases, the student bears the responsibility for completing all necessary paperwork, obtaining all required signatures, and delivering documents between the institutions. Failure to complete the full registration process may invalidate the credit earned at the partner institution. Students who will be enrolled in special course numbers at the University of Houston will be billed tuition and fees at this institution. Payment for inter-institutional coursework must be made on time according to the university’s fee payment calendar along with all other coursework being taken at UH during that term.  

Language and Culture Center

The Language and Culture Center (LCC), housed in the Department of English, is an intensive English program providing noncredit English language instruction to undergraduate and graduate international students who have not yet been admitted to degree programs because they need to improve their reading, writing, grammar, or spoken English skills to compete successfully in the university classroom.

International Graduate Teaching Assistants who score low on the Test of Spoken English (TSE), the Speaking Proficiency English Assessment Kit (SPEAK), or other nationally standardized tests may enroll for LCC 6034: English for International Teaching Assistants and Faculty, a noncredit course on English pronunciation and U.S. academic culture.

LCC courses do not count toward degrees, but do count toward full-time student status for immigration reporting purposes and for calculation of building use and student service fees.

For further information, contact:

University of Houston
Department of English
Language and Culture Center
116 Roy Cullen Building
Houston, TX 77204-3014
Office: 713-743-3030
Fax: 713-743-3029
E-mail: lcc@uh.edu
Internet: lcc.uh.edu

Learning Abroad

Learning Abroad (LA) facilitates opportunities for UH students to participate in a variety of academic and non-academic programs abroad. It is located in suite 105 of the Ezekiel W. Cullen Building. Learning Abroad is responsible for designing the policies and procedures for students participating in learning abroad programs and in assisting the colleges, departments, faculty and students in fulfilling academic requirements.

Undergraduate and graduate students interested in learning abroad have a wide variety of resources available. Students are able to enroll in any one of the following programs: Faculty-Led Programs, Reciprocal Educational Exchange Programs, Affiliated Programs, Visiting International Studies Program, Research Collaboratives, Internships, and Experiential Learning, Service Learning Programs. 

Learning Abroad advisors and support staff are available at the LA to assist students in finding the right programs, equating foreign coursework to UH courses, evaluation of foreign transcripts, and assuring students’ health and safety abroad. LA operates a U.S. Passport Acceptance Facility where U.S. students, faculty and staff can have their passport applications processed. LA staff have been trained as Acceptance Agents who meet all U.S. Department of State requirements for operating a Passport Acceptance Facility.

Contact Information:

105 E Cullen Building
Internet: www.uh.edu/learningabroad

Noncredit Programs and Courses

  • UH Online & Special Programs provides a broad array of noncredit certificate programs. Focusing on career and professional development, these opportunities are designed to respond to the expressed needs of Houston’s business community. For further information about noncredit courses and programs, visit www.outreach.uh.edu
  • The Moores School of Music Preparatory and Continuing Studies Department offers private music instruction and classes to students of all ages. Professional Development workshops for music educators are offered on a variety of topics through the year. For more information, call 713-743-3398 or visit www.pcs.uh.edu.

Oak Ridge Associated Universities Consortium

The University of Houston is a member of Oak Ridge Associated Universities (ORAU), a consortium of colleges and universities and a management and operating contractor for the U.S. Department of Energy located in Oak Ridge, Tennessee. ORAU works with its member institutions to help their students and faculty gain access to federal research facilities throughout the country; to keep its members informed about opportunities for fellowship, scholarship, and research appointments; and to organize research alliances among its members. Undergraduates, graduates, postgraduates and faculty have access to a multitude of opportunities for study and research. Students can participate in programs covering a wide variety of disciplines including business, earth sciences epidemiology, engineering, physics, pharmacology, ocean sciences, biomedical sciences, nuclear chemistry, and mathematics. For more information about ORAU and its programs, visit www.orau.org.

Online & Special Programs

The University of Houston offers online degree programs for a true education without limits. In addition to online programs, the University of Houston also offers hybrid and short session courses.

Graduate level credit courses offered online from selected degree programs are taught by University of Houston faculty and have the same prerequisites, content, and requirements as on the University of Houston main campus. UH Online & Special Programs coordinates the delivery of courses online. For further information about credit courses offered by UH Online & Special Programs, visit http://www.uh.edu/online or call 713-743-3327.

Phi Kappa Phi

Phi Kappa Phi is a national honor society that recognizes superior scholarship in all academic disciplines at the university.

Founded in 1897, Phi Kappa Phi has as its primary objective the recognition and encouragement of superior scholarship. The University of Houston chapter, chartered in November 1949, is the only honor society on campus that is wholly university-wide and includes faculty members, administrators, and undergraduate and graduate students in every division of the university.

Each year Phi Kappa Phi elects to membership a limited number of juniors, seniors, and graduate or professional students who are of good character and have attained outstanding records of academic excellence at the university.

Veterans and Dependents G.I. Bill

Veterans and dependents who wish to claim education benefits should go to Veterans’ Services, room N202 University Center for information and assistance. Re-certification is necessary each semester for veterans who wish to continue drawing benefits. Enrollment certification cannot be processed until a degree plan/requirement checklist and Advisor Verification of Veteran Enrollment form for the semester certified is in the veteran’s file and initial payment for courses is made.  Visit www.uh.edu/veterans for further information.

The Office of the University Registrar is responsible for submitting certifications for educational benefits to the Veterans Administration under federal guidelines. Requests for enrollment certification including all documentation should be made in room 128 Welcome Center. Requests for certification may be made in 128 Welcome Center during regular office hours, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.