Apr 12, 2024  
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog 
2023-2024 Undergraduate Catalog

Transfer of College Credits

  Undergraduate Admissions  > Transfer of College Credits

The evaluations of international transfer credits are processed by the Office of Admissions after faculty in the appropriate department and college determined whether the work and credit are of suitable content and rigor, once all required documents are submitted (complete transcripts, syllabus/catalog) during the first enrolled term The application of transfer credit toward a degree at the university cannot be determined until the transcripts have been evaluated and a degree plan is processed.

Former students must notify the Office of Admissions of any schools attended since the last enrollment at the University of Houston and submit all official transcripts. Degree plans are processed in the college of the student’s major. The following regulations apply generally to the undergraduate programs. Certain exceptions exist in the Law Center. Refer to the Graduate and Professional Studies catalog.

General Regulations

  1. The college from which credit is to be transferred must be accredited by one of the six regional accrediting associations or the appropriate Ministry or board for overseas studies.
  2. Courses transfer to the university on the same level and with the corresponding number of hours as earned at the other institution. Grades are not transferred, and a new grade point average is established only on work done at the university. Courses taken at other institutions in which grades below C- were earned are not transferable or applicable toward degree requirements at the University of Houston. Some colleges and departments may use the cumulative grade point average from other institutions as an admission criterion.
    A student cannot satisfy any baccalaureate degree requirement at the university with course work taken at another institution unless the course itself is both accepted by the university in transfer and applied toward the student’s baccalaureate degree.
    As of Fall 1999, the following clarifications apply to the transfer of core curriculum credit.
    1. Students who transfer to the University of Houston from another Texas public institution of higher education where they have successfully completed all of that institution’s Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board-approved core curriculum shall be considered by UH to be “core complete” and shall not be required to take additional courses to complete the UH core curriculum. However, no courses completed with a grade below C- shall transfer, and therefore they shall not count toward degree requirements, including total hours, other than “core completion.”
    2. If a transfer student has not successfully completed all Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board-approved core curriculum requirements at another Texas public institution of higher education, then UH will not accept, for any purpose, the core curriculum courses in which the student earned a grade below C-.
  3. Students who transfer to the University of Houston before they have completed all of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board approved core curriculum requirements at another Texas public institution of higher education shall receive credit toward the UH core for each of the core courses they have completed with a grade of C- or higher up to the maximum specified in each core component area by the institution from which they are transferring. Hours that exceed the UH requirement in any core component area shall be applied elsewhere in the UH core according to the established core articulation tables. It should be noted that these students may be required to take additional courses to complete the UH core curriculum.
    Students who transfer to UH from institutions that do not have a Coordinating Board-approved core curriculum may use transfer credits to satisfy UH core curriculum requirements. When no equivalency exists, a student may submit an Undergraduate Transfer Credit Petition for review by the appropriate department and dean. The grades earned must be C- or higher.
  4. Courses taken at other colleges that do not correspond to courses offered at the university may transfer as elective credit. Such courses may fulfill degree requirements at the discretion of the major department and dean.
  5. Workforce and technical courses taken at regionally accredited institutions of higher education normally not acceptable for transfer may be transferred as credit with departmental approval. However, only the student’s academic dean can determine the applicability of such credit towards a degree. Additionally, developmental and remedial courses, and courses classified as below freshman level by the institution at which the student took them, are not transferable and will not count toward a degree.
  6. Credit may be granted for courses taken through various non-collegiate organizations based on the recommendation made by the Commission on Educational Credit when such training is considered by the university to be at the baccalaureate level and consistent with the student’s educational objective.
  7. A maximum of 12 credit hours in religion from a regionally accredited college is accepted toward a degree.
  8. A maximum of two credit hours in physical education activity courses is transferable.
  9. A maximum of 66 credit hours of lower division (freshman and sophomore) transfer work will be allowed to apply toward a baccalaureate degree at the University of Houston. If a student transfers more than 66 credit hours of lower division work, the dean or his/her designated representative of the college of the student’s major will decide which of the total lower division hours, not to exceed 66, will apply to the UH degree. The classification of a course as lower division is based on external level of the course and its classification at UH.
  10. To earn a degree at the university, the last 30 credit hours must be completed in residence on this campus; see the university policy  for permitted exceptions. Only grade points earned at the University of Houston are averaged for the degree.
  11. Unless prohibited by one or more of the general regulations above, the dean of the college in which the student majors will make the final decision concerning the application of transfer credit to the degree program.

Community College Common Course Numbering

The University of Houston and Texas community colleges have agreed that certain courses offered by the community colleges meet UH Core Curriculum standards; the community colleges have adopted common course numbers among themselves. Students transferring those courses to the university from a Texas community college will receive credit for the corresponding UH core course, provided all general requirements for transfer credit are met. All courses are reviewed annually, to ensure that they meet core standards; therefore, the list is subject to change without notice. The university’s Provost Office maintains the most up-to-date listings of these approved courses.

Not all community colleges use the common course numbering system. It is the student’s responsibility to check with each community college attended for course equivalency.

For a complete listing of Texas Common Course Numbers and UH equivalents, see the Texas Common Course Numbering System  section of this catalog.

Correspondence and Extension Credit

The university does not offer correspondence courses, but such credit may be accepted in transfer when taken from an accredited college. Students may apply a maximum of 18 credit hours of correspondence credit, 30 credit hours of extension (classroom) credit, or 30 credit hours of correspondence and extension credit combined toward a bachelor’s degree. Only six credit hours in the student’s major may be correspondence credit.

Credit for Military Service

Awarding course credit for military service will follow Texas Education Code, SEC.51.3042.

The University will award up to 12 hours of military service to satisfy any elective outside the student’s major or minor course requirements if the student:

  1. graduated from a public or private high school accredited by a generally recognized accrediting organization or from a high school operated by the United States Department of Defense; and
  2. is an honorably discharged former member of the armed forces of the United States who:
    1. completed at least two years of service in the armed forces; or
    2. was discharged because of a disability.

Additional course credit for military service and training may be awarded with dean or dean’s designee approval. For consideration, students must submit an Undergraduate Transfer Credit Petition for review by the appropriate department and dean.

Postbaccalaureate Students

Students who have earned a degree equivalent to a bachelor’s degree or higher in the United States from a college or university overseas may be eligible for postbaccalaureate admission. Refer to the Postbaccalaureate Student  section of this catalog.

Professional Course Credit

Graduates of certain accredited professional schools are allowed a total of 30 credit hours of unspecified credit for two or three years of professional training. A maximum of 12 credit hours will be allowed to those students who are not graduates. Students who satisfactorily complete a program in medical technology that is approved by the Board of Registry of Clinical Pathologists will be allowed 30 credit hours of unspecified credit.

Graduate Credit

Graduate credit completed with a grade of A or B (A=4.00) may be transferred for advanced courses only. The amount of transferable credit, however, is subject to approval by the individual department. Only in exceptional circumstances can more than nine credit hours of transfer credit be applied to a master’s degree. The Bauer College of Business and Cullen College of Engineering will not accept more than nine credit hours of transfer credit under any circumstances.

Transfer credit is subject to evaluation and must be consistent with the degree plan approved by the student’s advisor. The student bears the final responsibility for securing the department’s acceptance of transferred credit.

Transfer Credit and Honors

Transfer credit cannot be used to determine honors .