Jul 14, 2024  
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Moores School of Music

Colleges  > Kathrine G. McGovern College of the Arts  > Moores School of Music


Who’s Who in the Moores School of Music

Courtney Crappell (Interim)

James L. Austin (Emeritus), Matthew Dirst, Joseph Evans, Andrzej Grabiec, Charles Hausmann, Timothy Hester, Michael Horvit (Emeritus), Timothy Jones, Timothy Koozin, Franz Anton Krager, Fredell Lack (Emeritus), Jeffrey C. Lerner (Emeritus), Robert S. Nelson (Emeritus), Howard Pollack, Arnold (Buck) Ross, Vagram Saradjian, Abbey H. Simon, Robert T. Smith, John Snyder, Melanie Sonnenberg, Ruth Tomfohrde (Emeritus), Betsy Cook Weber, Nancy Weems, David Ashley White, Blake Wilkins

Associate Professors:
Paul Bertagnolli, Cynthia Clayton, Courtney Crappell, Raymond Harvey (Clinical), Barbara Rose Lange, Noe Marmolejo, Marcus Maroney, Tali Morgulis, Jeffrey Sposato, Brian Suits (Visiting), Lawrence Wheeler, Kirsten Yon

Assistant Professors:
Mark Barton, David Clemmer, Dan Gelok, Erin Hansen (Visiting), Alan  Hicks, Julie Kastner (Visiting), Cory Meals, Jeb Mueller, Nancy Murphy, Daryl Robinson, Alec Warren

John Benzer, Cora Bigwood, Rhona Brink, Chien-Jung CHen, Cory Lafevers, Anna Langley, Marc Martin,Kevin Miller, Katherine Turner,  Carl Welch,

Affiliate Artists:
Robert Atherholt, James Austin, Wayne Brooks, Adam Dinitz, Aralee Dorough, Jonathan Fischer, Joel Fulgham, Randall Griffin, Mark Hughes, Robert Johnson, Brian Kauk, Anthony Kitai, Suzanne LeFevre, Lynda McKnight, Ilan Morgenstern, Mark Nuccio, Gavin Reed, Chester Rowell, Peggy Russell, Melissa Suhr, Hector Vasquez, James Vassallo, Danny Vinson, Elise Wagner, Robert Walp, Alec Warren, Michael Wheeler, Dennis Whittaker, Woodrow Witt


The Moores School of Music offers Bachelor of Music, Master of Music, and Doctor of Musical Arts degrees. In addition, it is possible to earn a Bachelor of Arts degree with a major in music through the College of the Arts. Information on graduate degrees is available in the Graduate and Professional Studies catalog.

Bachelor Of Arts

The Bachelor of Arts degree in music is offered to students wishing to pursue a program that places great emphasis on the liberal arts, but with a strong concentration in the field of music. In addition to the college requirements for the Bachelor of Arts, a minimum of 50 semester hours in music is required.

Bachelor Of Music

Two baccalaureate music degrees are offered: Bachelor of Music and Bachelor of Music in Applied Music. The Bachelor of Music degree offers majors in Composition, Music Theory, and with Elective Studies in Teacher Certification (instrumental or choral), Marketing, and Religion. The Bachelor of Music in Applied Music offers performance concentrations in Piano, Organ, Voice, Winds, Brass, Strings, or Percussion.

Course Requirements For A Bachelor Of Music Degree:

In addition to all university and college requirements, students must complete all requirements for each B.M. degree as outlined below. Note that requirements for the various concentrations for the Bachelor of Music in Applied Music degree appear separately, as do the different areas of elective studies.

Bachelor of Music in Applied Music with concentrations in:  

  • Piano Performance, Organ Performance
  • Instrumental Performance
  • Vocal Performance

Bachelor of Music:

Admission to Specific Areas of Specializations in Music

Although a successful audition will allow a student to enroll as a music major at the Moores School of Music, formal acceptance into specific areas of specialization (applied music, theory, composition, music education) does not occur until the end of the sophomore year.

Students who wish to apply for admission to an area of specialization must obtain a degree plan from the advising office in the second term of their sophomore year and pass the admissions requirements established by the area of specialization. In order to obtain an official degree plan, students must have met the basic GPA requirements for the specialized area and must be current on recital attendance requirements. Degree plans are registered with the office of the dean of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, and copies are kept in the student’s permanent file in the Moores School of Music advising office. Students may request a copy of the official degree plan at any time.

Although areas of specialization are not officially recognized until the end of the sophomore year, students should indicate their interest to appropriate faculty members and the academic advisor as early as possible for effective advising.

Ensemble Participation
Students enrolled in applied music must participate in the large ensemble appropriate for the instrument or voice. This obligation remains in force even after degree requirements have been met.


The Moores School of Music is a full member of the National Association of Schools of Music and a member of the Texas Association of Music Schools.

Admission to the Moores School of Music

New Students

In addition to meeting all requirements for admission to the University of Houston, all students applying for acceptance as majors in the Moores School of Music must pass an audition on their principal instrument or voice and be able to meet at least a freshman level of performance. In addition, they must take an examination for placement in music theory.

Transfer Students

In addition to meeting all requirements for admission to the University of Houston, all transfer students applying for acceptance as majors in the Moores School of Music must pass an audition on their principal instrument or voice. Music majors transferring from other institutions must have a 2.50 minimum grade point average in all music courses attempted. Courses within the Texas “Field of Study Curriculum for Music” will transfer if minimum grade point and proficiency requirements are met. As required of Moores School of Music’s native students, transfer students must take and pass applicable prerequisite proficiency exams before enrolling in designated theory and aural skills courses.

Transfer students in composition must have a 3.25 GPA in all previous music theory, aural skills and composition course work in order to be accepted into the composition program. Transfer students in music theory must have a 3.0 GPA in all freshman and sophomore level theory and aural skills courses to be fully admitted to the music theory program in the junior year and a GPA of 3.25 in all theory courses to graduate.

For more information, please visit http://www.music.uh.edu/.

Post Baccalaureate Students

Post-baccalaureate applicants for teacher certification in music must first meet requirements of the College of Education , apply to the Moores School of Music through Decision Desk and provide the following materials: (a) unofficial transcripts, (b) statement of intent, (c) two references, and (d)  a 15-minute video of a solo performance on a primary instrument or of classroom music teaching. Applicants must also complete an interview with a music education faculty member. Additional information is available on the Moores School of Music website.

Recital Attendance

Programs covering a wide range of literature and varied media of performance are presented each term by faculty and by students. All music majors must attend a total of 96 recitals prior to graduation. Music education majors will be exempt from recital attendance the term of student teaching. If student teaching is completed in the 8th term of study, music education majors need only accumulate a total of 84 recitals. Students must attend a minimum of four Tuesday recitals each term they are enrolled in nine or more hours until their total recital requirement has been met.

To request preparation of a degree plan or schedule a junior recital, students must have attended 60 recitals. To schedule a senior recital, students must have attended 72 recitals. Graduation paperwork will not be approved until the total requirement has been met. Students should attend 12 recitals each term to meet these requirements. In the rare instance when a non-degree applicable recital is requested by General Petition and approved, the student must be current on recital attendance before the event can be scheduled. The numbers required are 12 recitals (freshman), 36 recitals (sophomores), and 60 recitals (junior).

Only Moores School of Music sponsored recitals will be counted for credit. Performances in which the student is a participant will not count toward recital attendance. Attendance is documented electronically with the CougarOne card, or by turning in recital programs within two weeks of the performance. Please contact the undergraduate advisor for details.

C- Rule

For all MUSA, MUSI, and MUED courses required for the music major or minor degree, with the exception of ensembles, students must earn a grade of C- or better in order to apply the course toward a Bachelor of Music, Bachelor of Arts in Music, or a minor degree in music. Furthermore, a minimum grade of C- is required for advancement to the subsequent course in all sequential courses.

Theory and Aural Skills Proficiency Examinations

Proficiency exams are prerequisites for several courses in the theory and aural skills sequences. A passing grade on these exams will likewise be at least C-. Furthermore, proficiency examinations are valid only through the next offering of the course for which they are prerequisite; if a student, having qualified for a course for which a proficiency examination is prerequisite, fails to complete that course the next time it is offered, the student must retake and pass the proficiency exam(s) for that course before enrolling in it.

Participation in Music Courses by Nonmajors

A number of music courses can be used by nonmusic majors to fulfill certain core course requirements. In addition, students majoring in other areas may elect to participate in ensembles, typically with consent of the instructor. Instruction in applied music for college credit is not generally available to nonmajors. Anyone interested in noncredit private lessons should contact the Preparatory and Continuing Studies Division at 713-743-3398 or visit www.pcs.uh.edu/.


    MajorMinorInternship and Practical Training