Jun 12, 2024  
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog 
2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and Design - Experience Track

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and Design

Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and Design  > Experience Track

The Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and Design recognizes the value of supporting students’ professional development as an integral part of their academic career. Students who select the Experience Track in their degree program and satisfy its requirements will receive recognition for internship/Curricular Practical Training (CPT) experience by a transcript notation.

Eligibility for Internship

  • Students with a UH grade point average 2.5 or greater, or permission of a department chair, are eligible for internship courses under the Experience Track.
  • Students are eligible for internships after completing the first four semesters of studio in their respective degree program, and at least one full semester in the Hines College.
  • The work must be related to the student’s major.
  • Internships must be approved by an academic advisor in the Hines College Student Services Office.
  • Additional restrictions apply to CPT for F-1 students (see below).

Steps to Declare the Experience Track

  1. Students must declare, by submitting a General Petition to their academic advisor, their intention to pursue this track prior to processing the paperwork for approval of the internship/CPT.
  2. The academic advisor will verify the student’s academic eligibility for the internship/CPT. The student will be notified by email when the petition has either been approved or disapproved by the Hines academic advisor.
  3. The Hines College Student Services Office (SSO) will review the internship, including the formal job offer on the hiring company’s stationery, a description of the work to be performed, a beginning and ending date, and the salary offered. The SSO will determine whether or not the internship/CPT will provide the student with appropriate experience relating to their major field of study. If a positive determination is made, then:
    1. If the student wants to enroll for credit, then SSO will enroll the student in INDS 4380, otherwise
    2. If the student wants to enroll for a zero-credit co-op internship/CPT, the student takes the approved petition and the internship approval from the SSO to the Co-op Office in the career center of the Cullen College of Engineering to complete the process.
F-1 students seeking CPT should visit the International Student Scholar Services Office (ISSS) for special instructions prior to the steps above.

For more information about Co-op Education and CPT, please visit the Co-operative Education (Co-op) and Curricular Practical Training (CPT)  page.

Eligible Coursework

To satisfy the requirements for the Experience Track, students must declare their intention to pursue the track and complete an approved internship/CPT.

Courses for Academic Credit

Courses for academic credit are also available to satisfy the requirements for the Experience Track for select majors, if approved by the respective Academic Department.

  • Credit Hours: 3.0
  • Design Internship exists for students who wish to receive academic credit for the internship experience.  This course, while required for Industrial Design majors, is available to all students and they may take this course if they meet the equivalent requisites in their major (Architecture, Environmental Design, or Interior Architecture).

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture and Design