Mar 03, 2024
College of Liberal Arts and Social Sciences > Department of English > Creative Writing, MFA
In addition to meeting the college graduate admission requirements, applicants to the MFA in Creative Writing program must meet the following minimum requirements for admission to the program and for the degree:
- The applicant should have completed 12 hours of advanced English with an average of 3.0 or better grade point average.
- The applicant should have two years of college-level study in one foreign language or otherwise demonstrate, with a passing score on the GSFLT, a reading knowledge of a foreign language.
- Three letters of recommendation.
- Submission of a manuscript consisting of a maximum of 10 pages of poetry or 20-25 pages of fiction.
- A statement of intent (1,000 or fewer words): reasons for pursuing graduate study in creative writing, which writers in the applicant’s genre the applicant is reading, and comments on those writers.
- On a separate sheet of paper, list awards and publications of the applicant.
- Two official copies of transcripts from each school attended.
The GRE Advanced Subject (Code 64) score is not required for MFA applicants.
Consult the Creative Writing Program for additional information and more specific requirements.
Students must complete a minimum of 36 hours of approved graduate courses. these courses must be distributed over creative writing workshops and courses in literary studies. Specific requirements are as follows:
- 15 hours in creative writing, including 9 hours in the primary genre, 3 hours of Master Workshop, and 3 hours of Poetic Forms and Techniques for poetry students, Fiction Forms and Techniques for fiction students, or Nonfiction Forms and Techniques for nonfiction students. Students are strongly encouraged to take the course in Forms and Techniques early in the MFA program.
- 3 hours of Writers on Literature
- 12 hours in English or American literature or other literary studies (Students should divide their courses between early and later literatures. Early British literature is defined as British literature before 1800 and early American literature is defined as American literature before 1865.)
- 6 hours of elective courses (literature or other literary studies, workshop in the primary genre, workshop in a crossover genre, Writers on Literature, or coursework in another department that complements the student’s program). In addition, MFA students must complete a creative thesis for 6 credit hours.
In addition, MFA students must complete a creative thesis for 6 credit hours.