Mar 03, 2024
Cullen College of Engineering > Department of Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering > Chemical Engineering, MChE
The Master of Chemical Engineering (MChE) degree is offered as a non-thesis program for the working professional. The program has been designed for those persons who plan careers in plant operations, design and management. It is not intended to be competitive with the Master of Science degree, which is specifically consist of research based courses.
The goal of this program is not only to permit earlier productive use of the young engineer’s technical skills, but also to introduce the engineer to the broad concepts of systems, analysis, advanced process economics, and technical management.
The program is aimed at improving opportunities for chemical engineers in the chemical process industry and related industries.
Please visit the Master of Chemical Engineering Degree program page.
- Professionals working in the chemical process industry with BS in chemical engineering.
- Minimum undergraduate grade-point average (GPA) of 3.00 (based on 4.00)
- Typically total GRE score over 300 (Verbal + Quantitative).
- Professionals working in the industry or related industries with degrees other than but related to chemical engineering (such as mechanical engineering or chemistry) are encouraged to apply. If admitted to the MChE program, such students are required to take a number of undergraduate chemical engineering courses that will prepare them to take the graduate-level MChE courses.
- Preparatory courses are composed by the MChE Director on an individual basis, depending on the student’s background. A typical list of preparatory courses can be found on the department website.
Acceptance into the program is based on a competitive combination of academic background, GRE scores, recommendation letters, resume, and the statement of purpose. The Checklists below list all requirements for the Application Submission:
- UH Graduate School Application
- Scanned copies of official transcript will be used for the application evaluation (upload). However IF admitted Official Transcript with the date your degree was Conferred/Awarded must be submitted to the Graduate School before enrollment can take place.
- GRE scores (University code is 6870)
- Statement of Purpose (uploaded- if possible no longer than 2 pages)
- Resume (uploaded)
- 3 Letters of Recommendation (emails must be listed on the online application)
- Application Fee (cannot be waived)
Credit hours required for this degree: 30.0
Program Study for the Master of Chemical Engineering (MChE):
The program requires the completion of 30 credit hours of approved graduate work. Which consist of five core courses and five elective courses.