In addition to successful completion of the University Core Requirements and CLASS college requirements, students in COMD must:
1. Complete 34 semester hours within COMD for the major.
Additional courses outside the major are also required as listed below:
2. Complete the following three general education courses as required by the Council for Clinical Certification in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology (CFCC).
All of these requirements can be met through University Core Courses.
A college level Statistics course;
A college level Biological Sciences course;
A college level Physics or Chemistry course.
3. Be advised concerning course prerequisites and sequences by COMD undergraduate faculty and staff advisor(s).
4. Apply as a Pre-COMD major with an overall GPA of 2.67
This requirement pertains to any incoming freshman, university transfer, college or department transfer, or international student.
5. Complete the COMD Core requirements prior to being approved as COMD majors:
Completion of COMD 1333 - Introduction to Communication Disorders or its equivalent
Completion of COMD Core Courses with grades of B- or better:
COMD 2339 - Language Development
COMD 2338 - Phonetics
COMD 2376 - Anatomy for Communication
Completion of a speech, language and hearing screening
Earned a minimum GPA of 2.67
Once Pre-COMD requirements are completed, students must file a general petition to declare a COMD major. The general petition is subject to evaluation by the advisor, the undergraduate coordinator and the department chair. Students are NOT considered COMD majors until the petition has been approved.
Why is there a COMD Core?
The COMD Core courses (COMD 2339, COMD 2338 and COMD 2376) are foundational courses for our major. They (or their approved equivalents) are required for all Pre-COMD Students in order to ensure that each student has a solid basis on which to build knowledge in later classes. These courses must be completed with a grade of B- or higher and may not be repeated.
Students who have not completed the COMD Core successfully will not be allowed to declare COMD as a major.
6. Complete all COMD courses with a grade no lower than B-.
COMD Core Sequence
A student must earn a grade of B- or better in the COMD Core sequence to remain eligible for the major.
Repeating COMD Core Courses
Students earning a grade below B- in one of these courses must obtain permission from the department petition committee to repeat the course. Enrollment in courses requiring completion of the COMD Core will be blocked pending a decision by the petition committee. Students should see the academic advisor for guidance in requesting permission to repeat a COMD Core course.
COMD Major Courses
A student must earn a grade of B- or better in the following COMD major courses.
Repeating COMD Major Courses
If a student earns a grade below B- in one of these courses, a single repetition of that course is allowed. A student who earns a second grade below B- in any of these courses will not be permitted to continue as a COMD major. Students should see the academic advisor for guidance in selecting another major and/or consideration of COMD minor completion.
7. File a degree plan once the following requirements are completed:
- A minor must be declared.
- A minor degree plan must be completed and approved.
- 60 credit hours must be completed with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 and a COMD major cumulative GPA of not less than 2.67.
- University Core requirements must be completed
- 18 COMD major hours must be completed.
- All completed courses that are required by the major must have a grade of B- or better.
- Only one required COMD course may be repeated to achieve this standard.
8. Complete Clinical Procedures, COMD 4489,
This course introduces students to the clinical process and has a strong hands-on component. There is no substitute for this course. The following eligibility requirements are strictly enforced.
Only COMD majors with senior status may enroll in Clinical Procedures.
Students must have a COMD major degree plan filed and approved prior to enrollment.
Filing a major degree plan is a lengthy process and is dependent upon completion of multiple previous steps.
Students are strongly advised to submit a COMD major degree plan for approval in the summer before their fifth semester in COMD.
Students must have a GPA of 2.67 in the COMD major. This includes grades for all COMD courses taken. If a course has been repeated, both grades enter into the calculation.
Students must have completed 18 hours of COMD Major classes prior to enrolling in COMD 4489.
9. Enroll for advanced classes in COMD only upon successful completion of the prerequisites or they will be dropped by the instructor.
Neither the department nor the instructor will be responsible for tuition refunds.
10. Complete a minimum of 12 advanced hours in residence in the department.
Courses that are seven or more years old may not be counted toward the degree, whether taken at the University of Houston OR transferred to the University of Houston.