Feb 22, 2024
All new students who wish to major in psychology, and all current students who wish to switch to the Department of Psychology major will need to meet with an advisor in the Academic Affairs Office of the Department of Psychology (124 Heyne Building, 713-743-8508).
Any incoming freshman, college transfer student, international student, or current UH student with an overall GPA of 2.0 interested in majoring in psychology must apply first as a psychology pre-major.
Change of Major to Psychology
Upon completion of PSYC 1300, PSYC 2301, and PSYC 3301 with a grade of C or above in each course, students may then submit a general petition to the department to change their major from psychology pre-major to psychology. This requirement must be met no later than two semesters prior to your graduating semester.
- The psychology major requires a minimum of 33 credit hours in the major. Each major must complete 21 hours of required courses.
- Majors must earn at least a C grade in each of the required courses applied to the major and must have an overall GPA of 2.0 (there is no limit as to the number of required courses students may retake, but each required course may be retaken only two times).
- Students should plan to complete PSYC 1300, PSYC 2301, and PSYC 3301 by the end of their sophomore year.
- Majors file an official degree plan upon completion of 60 semester hours, have an overall and major minimum GPA of 2.0, and after having declared a minor, double major, or double degree. An undergraduate advisor in the Department of Psychology must approve the degree plan.
- All 3000- and 4000-level courses in Psychology may contain a significant writing component.
- Majors must complete with a minimum 2.0 GPA a minor, double major, or double degree in order to complete their degree requirements for either a Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree in the Department of Psychology.
- Psychology majors may not use any course taken to satisfy major requirements to satisfy requirements in their minor, double major, or double degree
Required Psychology Courses
Each major must choose 12 hours of psychology of which 6 hours must be advanced electives. In planning one’s program, a student should note that some courses may be offered only annually or biennially. Majors are free to choose electives from one or several areas. Students should note that areas move from intermediate to advanced levels in the courses listed. Those majors planning to attend graduate or professional schools are strongly advised to participate in at least one Capstone experience in their senior year.
Typical Psychology Major Electives
Senior Capstone Experiences
Capstone experiences are intended as integrative, intensive exercises in critical thinking and analysis of content. These are opportunities for student-focused initiative, creativity and productivity under the close mentorship of Department of Psychology faculty.
For additional information, contact the department:
University of Houston
Department of Psychology
124 Heyne Building
Houston, Texas 77204-5022