Feb 22, 2024
College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics > Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences > Geographical Information Science (GIS) Certificate
The Geographical Information System (GIS) Certificate offered by the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences is available to both graduate students and non-degree seeking professionals. The certificate provides students with knowledge and experience to work in the field of geospatial data science and analytics both in the public and private sectors. The combination of courses focuses on the acquisition, storing, processing, visualization, modeling, and analysis of geospatial big data with emphasis on geospatial applications.
Students seeking this certificate must have:
- A bachelor’s degree in science or engineering, or additional course work to make up undergraduate deficiencies may be required.
- Well-qualified candidates in other fields may be approved by the GIS Faculty Advisor.
- Deficiencies will be noted at the time of admission.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 (A=4.00) is required in the last 60 hours of all course work.
- Transcripts are required
- GRE scores are not required.
- For students enrolled in a graduate program, courses used for certification can also be used towards a graduate degree.
A student may be admitted either:
- to a graduate program in the Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences at the University of Houston, or
- directly to the GIS Certificate program as a “non-degree seeking” graduate student.
Certificate Total: 15.0 Credit Hours
Core Course Requirements
9.0 Credit Hours
Course substitutions relevant to the certificate may be allowed on an individual basis, with prior permission from the GIS Faculty Advisor.
Elective Course Options
6.0 Credit Hours