Colleges > College of Nursing > Nursing, B.S.N. (Traditional)
TRADITIONAL BSN TRACK ADMISSION
The Traditional BSN track is designed for the University of Houston College of Nursing (CON) Pre-Nursing student who wants to pursue a Nursing major beginning the junior year. Pre-Nursing students are eligible to apply to the CON Traditional BSN track once they have completed or are enrolled to complete 60 semester credit hours (SCH) of the recommended course pathway for Nursing, of which 45 SCH must be in residence at UH. Students may be accepted conditionally, pending completion of UH core requirements*, all nursing program pre-requisites, a criminal background and a drug screen clearance. Students who entered UH as freshmen and have met the application criteria but are not Pre-Nursing students may be considered for admission into the Traditional BSN track by exception.
*Core Requirement IX(b) Writing in the Discipline may be satisfied by NURS 4312 .
Applicants must complete the UH College of Nursing Application to Change Course of Study to Nursing Major. Admission applications are reviewed and decided upon by the College of Nursing Admission Committee. Admission to the CON Traditional BSN Track is not guaranteed and is highly competitive. The holistic admission process is based upon many factors which include, but are not limited to:
- Space availability in the Traditional BSN track.
- An interview process.
- Grades in courses for the Traditional BSN track. (See: Recommended Course Pathway)
- ATI TEAS score, maximum two (2) attempts, with results submitted by application deadline.
- Evidence of engagement in a healthcare setting with examples of work or volunteerism (recommended).
Applicants to the Traditional BSN Track must pass the college-approved pre-admission test. The UH College of Nursing is only accepting Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS VI) as the college approved pre-admission test.
Applicants to the Traditional BSN Track must complete a release of social security number form submitted to the UH College of Nursing office or faxed to 713-743-1164.
Applicants must satisfy the UH College of Nursing clinical readiness requirements. (See: Policy S101 Student Clinical Requirements Part One)
Application Deadline: April 1 for Fall Semester Admissions
Admission to the Traditional BSN Track is a highly competitive process. To be considered for admission, the following minimum requirements must be met:
- Current University of Houston Pre-Nursing student (other majors by exception).
- A minimum of 60 SCH of course requirements for Nursing, of which 45 SCH must be in residence at UH.
- A minimum of 3.0 cumulative GPA with a maximum of two attempts per course (will take the higher grade).
- A minimum of 2.75 GPA or higher in the natural sciences with a maximum of two attempts per course.
- Grade of B or higher (with a maximum of two attempts per course) required in
- BIOL 1344 Human Anatomy and Physiology 2;
- BIOL 1144 Human Anatomy and Physiology 2 Laboratory.
- Grade of B- or higher (with a maximum of two attempts per course) required in
- NUTR 2332 Introduction to Human Nutrition;
- BIOL 1334 Human Anatomy and Physiology 1;
- BIOL 1134 Human Anatomy and Physiology 1 Laboratory;
- BIOL 1353 Pre-nursing Microbiology;
- BIOL 1153 Pre-nursing Microbiology Laboratory;
- CHEM 1301 Foundations of Chemistry.
- Completion of the ATI TEAS Exam with a highly competitive score.
- Meet clinical readiness and be eligible for RN licensure upon graduation. Must receive drug screen clearance and criminal background clearance or a Board order by the Texas Board of Nursing before acceptance.
Students not admitted to the CON Traditional BSN track will be advised to an alternate major at the University of Houston. Applicants not admitted may reapply by the deadline date for the next term. Applications are not carried forward to the next deadline date and there are no waiting lists.