Jun 23, 2024  
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog 
2020-2021 Undergraduate Catalog [Not Current Academic Year. Consult with Your Academic Advisor for Your Catalog Year]

Academic Information - Graduate School of Social Work

Colleges  > The Graduate College of Social Work  > Academic Information

Admissions Seminars for Prospective Applicants

Recognizing that many prospective applicants have questions about the M.S.W. program, its requirements, and curriculum, as well as about the social work profession, the GCSW offers a series of admissions seminars during the fall and spring semesters. Detailed information about admissions policies are also available at these seminars. Interested persons can go to www.sw.uh.edu for current information on the seminar dates.

Application Procedures

Brochures and application materials are mailed upon request. Please direct all inquires to:

University of Houston
Graduate College of Social Work
Attn: Admissions
237 Social Work Building
Houston, TX 77204-4013

A non-refundable $50.00 application fee, payable by check, money order or credit card, must accompany the admissions application. Applications will not be processed until the fee and all other required materials have been received. Please note that students are admitted only in the fall and that early application is encouraged.

Postbaccalaureate (PB) students who later decide to apply for admission to the GCSW will be allowed no more than six (6) credit hours earned as a PB to be applied toward the M.S.W. degree. These six credit hours must be selected from the foundation courses, must be grades of B or above, and must have been completed within two years from the date of application to the GCSW.

Persons who hold the Master of Social Work degree or related master’s degree and who wish to take courses in the Graduate College of Social Work for their own professional development are not limited in the number of credit hours that can be earned as a PB student.

Students from other graduate departments and postbaccalaureate students are welcome to take courses in the M.S.W. Program provided that (1) the prerequisites for the course are met or the instructor gives written approval, and (2) the college determines that there will be sufficient space in the course after M.S.W. Program students are enrolled. Please make requests to enroll in M.S.W. courses by contacting the Assistant Dean for Student Affairs office at 713-743-8082.