Feb 28, 2024
Declaring a Major in ASLI
- To be accepted into the major, students must complete both ASLI 2233 and SGNL 2301 or its equivalent with a grade of B- or better and apply to the program by the set deadline. When compiling the application to the major, students should then submit a general petition form to the department to change their major from PREASL to ASLI. This form must be included in the application packet.
- Degree plan should be filed once the student has reached junior status and has been accepted in the major. The degree plan must be filed the semester prior to enrollment in ASLI 4489 Service Learning-Intersnship.
- ASLI students will take a University-approved Writing in the Discipline (WID) course or an intensive writing course which satisfies the WID requirement with a grade of C or better.
- All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of B- or better.
- A satisfactory rate of progress toward the degree is required throughout the student’s enrollment. A minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.67 (B-) for all ASLIcourses attempted is required for continuation in the program. Failure to maintain a 2.67 grade point average may result in a warning. If a student is unable to improve their GPA within one year, removal from the program is possible.
- Prior to enrollment in a class any prerequisites must be completed successfully (grade of B- or better). If a student enrolls in a class for which they have not successfully completed the prerequisites, they will be dropped. Neither the department nor the university will be responsible for any tuition refunds. A student may earn no more than one grade below a B- in an ASLI major course. Students that earn a second grade below a B- must appeal to the ASLI Admissions Committee if they wish to continue by repeating the course. A student that has earned three grades below a B- will not be permitted to continue as an ASLI major. All undergraduate students must attend undergraduate advising meetings. It is recommended that students meet with their advisor at least once a year.
- Students whose last ASL class was completed 12 months or more prior to the start of the semester must be evaluated for placement in the appropriate ASL level or to continue in the ASLI Program.
- Courses in the major that are seven or more years old may not count toward a degree, whether taken at the University of Houston or transferred to the University of Houston, unless successfully petitioned.
- A minimum of twelve hours of advanced ASLI courses must be taken in residence at the University of Houston.
To file a degree plan
- The student must complete SGNL 2302 or equivalent and 15 hours in the department, with a minimum grade of B- for each course.
- Student must have achieved Junior status having completed at least 60 credits. Overall GPA must be 2.0 or better.
- The following core classes must have successfully been completed:
- 6 credits Communications
- 6 credits Math or core Math/Reasoning
- 6 credits core Life & Physical Sciences
- 6 credits core American History
- 6 credits core Government/Political Science
All students should see their ASLI advisor for assistance in determining their full program of study which includes university and college core course requirements. ASLI and COMD courses are typically offered once a year and must be taken in sequence to accommodate prerequisites.